Very Newbie wiring Q

Old 03-11-09, 11:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Very Newbie wiring Q

Im wondering what is the correct way to wire, on the same circuit, four lights and four outlets in different rooms.

What determines which box [ outlet or light] gets power first ,second ,third and so on?

When wiring the lights, does it matter if the power goes first to the fixture or the switch ?
Thank you very much

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-09, 11:16 PM
Basic rule of thumb, would be, the closest box to the source would get the power first. The best way to approach this is a pencil and paper, and lay it all out. The time spent doing "Your Homework" will be more than saved at the end of the job.

As long as you stay within "Safe Practices" , there really is no wrong or right here, just what fits better than something else.

Old 03-12-09, 03:54 AM
Practically, assuming none of the rooms are bathrooms, kitchens, or dining rooms, I'd install at least two receptical circuits, and one lighting circuit.

The recepticals would be daisy chained from the source.

Although it less complicated to run power to the light switches, it may be easier on labor and materials to daisy chain power through the light fixture boxes, and run a switch loop for the switches.

Old 03-12-09, 09:59 AM
If you had 25 homes to wire which were identical and were doing this for profit, you would want to make the runs in a manner which would use the least amount of wire and thus give you the largest profit!

So if you had 4 points to connect and they were in a straight line going away from the panel and the closest point was 10 ft. away and the furthest was 110 ft. away...

All the points would need to connect together. Run a wire from one to the next.

Then you would need to connect them to the panel...

You could run a wire from the panel to the closest point and that would be 10 ft. of wire used.

Or you could connect to the furthest point and that would be 110 ft. of wire used. Multiply that extra 100 ft. used by 25 homes!

So far as new construction goes or if you have the walls torn open, then it is easy to run wires anyway you please. You can run them in the most efficient manner.

But with existing construction and fishing wires through finished walls, etc. Sometimes it is ANYWAY you can get the wire to where you want. Who cares how much wire you use? Just find a way to get it there!

Basically you can do what you want.

Old 03-12-09, 10:26 AM
Thank you for replies,Im trying to replace K&T on the second floor and I having a very hard time finding a path for the wires.

Old 03-12-09, 10:46 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I also rewired my home about 3 yrs ago. I used a plumbing snake that was aout 3/8" wide. Worked great. Is there anyway to get a wire or 2 from your breaker box to your attic? If so, put in 2 junction boxes. I have 4 up in mine right now. The bathroom is on one, the office is on one, 2 bedrooms, and then the 3rd bedroom/hall lights/attic lights are on the 4th box. I have a laundry chute, so I ran 4 wires up from the basement to the attic. It worked great. Then all I had to do was cut holes in my attic floors, drill a hole in the top plate of each wall cavity and drop the wire down or pull it up from the room, some were a pain in the a$$ but for the most part the whole house was done in about 3 months, working on it about every weekend.

When it was time to hook the power to the circuit breakers, we added 2 bedrooms together, since we knew that we wouldn't be running high demanding electrical items in there. So yeah I would go ahead

""When wiring the lights, does it matter if the power goes first to the fixture or the switch ?"""

I always ran my power to my light switch, put the blk coming from the power wire to the top terminal and the blk wire going out to the light wire on the bottom terminal, wire nut the whites and hook up the ground. Then all you have in your light box is blk, white, ground to hook up. I did it this way so when/if I ever bought a new light or whatever I knew how it was hooked up. I also wrote things down, I recommend this for every ceiling fan hook up, and what not. It will help.

Hope this helps!! Good Luck and take your time!! Don't worry everyone gets a jolt now and then!! HE HE

Old 03-12-09, 09:55 PM
Thank you for replies, there is no attic just a crawl space [ flat roof] to small and full of strapping for any human to get to.

Walls and ceilings are plaster on lath so
Im traying to minimise making holes
I open the ceiling in a closet to get some access to the ''attic'' I rigged the drill to some kind of telescopic pole so maybe I can reach some of the top plates
There is no problem getting the wires from the pannel , through the main and up the bottom plate on the second floor but the fire stoppers on the way and limited access from the attic makes it very difficult

Old 03-12-09, 10:16 PM
Yeah that will make it difficult not having an attic space and also those fire stops. Other than making small holes I don't see any other options.

We had this old wire that was soaked in creosote, and literally fell apart by bending it when I replaced some electrical outlets. So that is when I decided we need all new wiring. It was a huge fire hazard. We tried pulling the old wire w/ the new attached and that didn't work b/c it was stapled. There were tubes left in the attic so we thought that the black old wire was replacement for the k&t but guess not.

Well hope you make out ok and get better advise than I can give. GOOD LUCK!!
Chris

Old 03-13-09, 09:22 AM
Sometimes you just got to rip out a wall or two!

It's nice to know how to do drywall. Not much to learning this and the tools are not expensive. The materials are not very expensive either. Just a lot of work and a big mess!

Old 03-13-09, 10:49 AM
Your right it is a huge mess, especially sanding!! I hate sanding. Would rather drywall and putty all day then have someone come in and sand for me. Also tearing out that lath n' plaster is a pain!! That is a huge dusty mess also and it seems like it never ends!! Good LUck