Fishing wire through fire stoppers

Old 03-12-09, 12:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fishing wire through fire stoppers

I need to fish some wires vertically through fire stoppers in plaster walls.

Im concern with keeping the wires
1 1/4 '' from the edge and unless I drill dead center it may not happen.

I may be able to get a 48'' bit extension and drill from bellow but how do I hit the center?
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-09, 12:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Cross your fingers and guess! If you can see in the wallspace with a mechanic's mirror and flashlight it can help to position the bit.

Old 03-12-09, 01:29 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Drill a second hole a foot or so away. Have a helper lower a small flashlight through the second hole and place his eye to it. If you want to get a bit more elaborate make a viewer for your helper from a piece of 3/4" PVC pipe and a fish-eye door peephole viewer. Of course if your geeky we could talk laptops and small video cameras, no helper needed, just the second hole.

Old 03-12-09, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Drill a second hole a foot or so away. Have a helper lower a small flashlight through the second hole and place his eye to it. If you want to get a bit more elaborate make a viewer for your helper from a piece of 3/4" PVC pipe and a fish-eye door peephole viewer. Of course if your geeky we could talk laptops and small video cameras, no helper needed, just the second hole.
Is there a 1-1/4" requirement for fished wires? I've used a Streamlight SL-20 on top of a second 1" hole in the top plate, no helper needed, but I was more concerned about just seeing what I was doing than trying to hit the firestop dead center. Since this is for fishing, I didn't get too worried about it. The wall's already built and it's unlikely a picture-hanging nail would go thru a loose fished cable.

Last edited by ArgMeMatey; 03-12-09 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-12-09, 09:38 PM
Thank you all for replies, I dont know if there is the 1 1/4 requirement for fished,this wall is hallway/bedroom good location to hang things on them and been plaster some times people drill holes to fasten anchors or drive 2'' nails.

Is a 1'' hole the correct size to keep the wire loose?

Old 03-13-09, 06:33 AM
Originally Posted by RODEL View Post
Thank you all for replies, I dont know if there is the 1 1/4 requirement for fished,this wall is hallway/bedroom good location to hang things on them and been plaster some times people drill holes to fasten anchors or drive 2'' nails.

Is a 1'' hole the correct size to keep the wire loose?
I used 1/2" RW aluminum flex, so 1" is the right size for that. It's also easier to see through a 1" hole. But the "right size" is what works for you, does not bind, and most importantly does not affect structural integrity.