GFCI problems

Old 03-13-09, 02:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GFCI problems

What could go wrong has gone wrong. First of all it is an old house ( 1895 ) been remodeled at least three times. The wiring has been replaced totally in 1966 the box has 100 amp service and all as far as I can tell. I now know that I am trying to install a GFCI on a 15 amp fuse that has the little button in the middle as a circuit breaker. The wire is I think 14 gauge. This is in the bathroom where we had it down to the studs then put up new sheet rock. So the wires are buried. I got it in alright but no power to it.
Could be's that I can think of.
1. brand new receptacle but could be bad.
2. 20 amp on 15 amp wire
3. not sure could be non copper wire
4. the sheet rock guy disconnected the wires but never hooked them up again ( we will not ask him because he was fired when he brought in a 24 pack of beer ). He was a friend .
5. Could be I need to open it up and tighten the wire holders.
6. On that line there is a fan, a wall light and an old receptacle out side the bathroom door ( is that bad ? )
We need help. thank you
Our money is very tight so cannot afford the pro but might have been better to start with the pro.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-09, 03:13 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You have a fuse box not a breaker box, correct? Is there space for a new circuit? The bathroom really should be #12 on a 20 amp fuse. To your current problem. Have you tried using a regular fuse instead of the C/B adapter? Are you sure the contact at the bottom of the fuse holder isn't bent too far down?
5. Could be I need to open it up and tighten the wire holders.
You did connect power in to the line side didn't you? Obvious but you did try the reset button on the GFCI?

Old 03-13-09, 03:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
A GFCI will not work if you have the LINE and LOAD wires reversed. Do you know which is which? The LINE wires are the black and white that come from the fuse panel. The LOAD wires are the black and white that go to the other outlets in the bathroom like receptacles or lights.

2. 20 amp on 15 amp wire
This is a minor note, but if your receptacle is one with a 20A "T" slot then you shouldn't use it on a 15A circuit. You should only use 15A receptacles (parallel blades w/ ground hole) on the 15A circuit. If it has the 15A slots but is rated for 20A feed-thru, then it's okay on the 15A circuit.

Old 03-13-09, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just use old receptacle

We used the old just plain no GFCI in that bathroom for about 30 years. We had it moved to center above the sink so thought the GFCI would be a good idea plus might even be a code here in the boonies. But i could take out the fuse that is a button circuit breaker that has not popped out in 30 years, remove the GFCI, instal a reg one and see if that works.

Old 03-13-09, 08:21 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by billpine View Post
We used the old just plain no GFCI in that bathroom for about 30 years. We had it moved to center above the sink
Explain moving. Did you add cable? if so how exactly did you add cable?
so thought the GFCI would be a good idea plus might even be a code here in the boonies
It is code everywhere and a good idea.
But i could take out the fuse that is a button circuit breaker that has not popped out in 30 years, remove the GFCI, install a reg one and see if that works.
Yes. Eliminating possibilities is what it is all about.