Help New Home Owners in Trouble

Old 03-13-09, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help New Home Owners in Trouble

I bought this house like a year ago and the Barn/Garage has always made me concerned.

Here is how it was setup:
-150 AMP Main Panel
-50 AMP Breaker for Barn/Garage
-New 3 New #6 wires running between panel and South End of house about 60 Feet including running up outside of house to aerial.
-3 #6 Wires that are completely bare and attached to Barn/Garage via Porcelain Insulators.
-Fuse Panel in Barn/Garage with lots of bare wires and things that are totally spooky, ie wires taped together with scotch tape.

Tree Fell In July of 2008:

-I replaced the wire between House and Garage with #4 Alum: Two insulated and one Bare Leader. Going AERIAL
-Attached new #4 with two insulated and one bare leader to copper with Split Bolt Connector and the goop so it would not oxidize or what ever
-Drove two ground rods into ground and Barn/Garage
-Installed a new 100 AMP Panel in Garage and new wire between panel and the two insulate and one bare leader wires going to house.

I have not turned it on because a neighbor told me that I could not do what I was doing. He said I needed 4 wires and I need to not ground the panel in the Barn/Garage.

I need some help here what is the code. There are no other connections between this place besides this power.

Help

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-09, 09:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by JOHNNY1720 View Post
I have not turned it on because a neighbor told me that I could not do what I was doing. He said I needed 4 wires and I need to not ground the panel in the Barn/Garage.
The 2008 edition of the electrical code requires four-wire feeders to outbuildings (separate insulated neutral from the ground). Previous versions of the code allowed three-wire feeders under certain circumstances (which it sounds like you would qualify for). Do you know which version your jurisdiction follows?

In the case of a four-wire feeder, you would need to separate the ground and neutral bars in the subpanel by purchasing an add-on ground bar kit and removing the bonding screw from the neutral bar. The ground rods are correct as you have described them.

Old 03-14-09, 01:36 AM
It will be nice if you mention locataion it will make the diffrence due most of the members here can able dail in the answer quicker due some states have diffrent code cycle peroid.

If you are on 2005 NEC code cycle or earlier verison some area can be qualified for three wire feeders to extreal buildings however there is a nice gotcha there if you have water line running there or phone or data cable even gas line then no you must run true 4 conductor set up.

If you are on 2008 NEC code cycle then no it is mantory 4 conductor feeder only they are no longer allowed to use the 3 conductor feeder at all.

Merci,Marc

Old 03-14-09, 06:23 AM
I live in Western NY in the Town of Olean. I have no idea what codes we must be current with. I kinda figured that what I am doing has got to be safer that what was there. I hate to do the project twice and I did speak to qualified electrician and this is what he told me to do.

Old 03-14-09, 09:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
What's the inspector say? You did get a permit for this, right?

Old 03-16-09, 09:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by JOHNNY1720 View Post
I live in Western NY in the Town of Olean. I have no idea what codes we must be current with.
New York adopts codes at the local level, so I can't look up exactly which edition your town/city/county follows; you would need to speak with the building inspector.

Assuming you got the details right, it sounds like what you installed is okay based on NEC 2005 or earlier. If you have to comply with NEC 2008, then another insulated conductor will be required to the barn to separate the ground and neutral.

I think your installation is safe as described, just perhaps not up to the newest standard. If you're in an area which does not enforce permits or inspections, then power it up and be done with it. If you do need to get a permit and inspection, then obviously you'll have to comply with whichever code version your area follows.