How to proceed Q

Old 03-15-09, 11:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can't comply with 1 1/4 rule

I been posting several questions about rewiring my old home and got great insights from this forum I really appreciated thank you!
Every timeI post I think this would be the last question but..... I got to a point I dont know how to proceed; Ibeen trying routes for the wires , making holes on the walls drilling plates ,stopers,studs preparing for the fishing and I just realice the all the non bearing walls where most of the light switches and plugs are, the studs only 2 1/2'' so I cant comply with the 1 1/4 rule as the frame is too small. The lath and plaster add 1'' on each side .
What do I do?
Thanks again

Last edited by RODEL; 03-15-09 at 11:29 PM. Reason: spe
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-09, 11:53 PM
when remodeling, some aspects of the code are different than for new construction. For example, the code accounts for the fact that if you run cable behind an existing wall, you won't be able to fasten the cable to the studs as you normally would before the sheetrock or l&p is installed.

In your case, if the walls you are fishing cable through are covered with lathe and plaster, or sheetrock, then the 1.25" rule doesn't apply. This rule is there to protect the cable from being damaged by any fasteners used to attach lathe or sheetrock - which you won't be doing.

Old 03-16-09, 07:54 AM
I think he is talking about the holes he drilled through the studs. I see the only fix for this would be to remove the plaster off the stud and install the metal plates to keep someone from driving a nail or screw into the wire through the stud. He would have to do this on both sides of the stud.
I do not think a short piece of metal conduit through the stud would work instead. Or would it? Or if the plaster makes it far enough that it does not need protection? Or since he is not installing drywall or anything he need not worry about it?

Old 03-16-09, 08:34 AM
If you are going to be hanging sheetrock over the plaster, then badeyeben is correct that you will need to remove enough plaster on the edge of any stud through which you have drilled an access hole to allow you to attach a nail guard.

Old 03-16-09, 10:31 AM
Thanks for replies, iwont be hanging DW over the plaster.
Is the 1 1/4 rule for DW screw missing the frame or to protect the wires AFTER from people hanging picture frames and what not?

Old 03-17-09, 12:59 PM
The rule is there primarily to prevent damage to the premise wiring during construction and thereby reduce the probability of a fault, electrocution, and/or fire.

There is a collateral benefit for post-construction activities - such as wall hangings, etc. - but these types of things are less predictive and generally can't be controlled.

If you are concerned about the future possibility of driving a screw or nail into a cable, then you can remove enough plaster to install nail guards on the studs in question.

Old 03-17-09, 08:26 PM
I drilled new holes off center leaving 1 1/2'' on one side and install the nail gards on the other.
Cheers