Ready for electric power to shop.....

Old 03-16-09, 03:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ready for electric power to shop.....

Hey guys, question....

I have a shop in the back yard 100 feet away from my main at the house. In it there are sevearl bench mounted tools, drill press, chop saw, miter saw, band saw, bench gringer, scroll saw. I also have a 5.5 hp compressor, and a 110v Lincold wire feed welder. I plan to put a fridge in there as well. For lights, looks like I will have 8 four foot fluorsents plus one outside motion light. I also want at least one 220 plug for running bigger welers, and maybe a plasma cutter in the future.
My main at the house is a 200 with plenty of room for another double, and the panel in my shop is a 100 amp main! Wire is the wire size needed for this run? I understand if I have to use THWN it will have to have conduit the entire run wear as UF only needs conduit where it enters the ground!
Rob

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-09, 03:29 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Post Deleted.

Last edited by ray2047; 03-16-09 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-16-09, 03:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Mudhole View Post
the panel in my shop is a 100 amp main! Wire is the wire size needed for this run? I understand if I have to use THWN it will have to have conduit the entire run wear as UF only needs conduit where it enters the ground!
Rob
If you want a 100A feed to the shop (which sounds appropriate given your intended uses), then you'll need to use either THWN in conduit or USE direct burial cable. Type UF cable is not made in a large enough size for 100A. You will also have the option of using either copper or aluminum wire; aluminum wire is cheaper than copper, but the cable is larger and harder to work with.

Copper THWN with 1-1/2" conduit: #3 hots and neutral, #8 ground.
Copper USE cable: #2-2-2-8
Alum THWN or XHHW with 1-1/2" conduit: #1 hots and neutral, #6 ground
Alum USE cable: *depends on what's available #1/0 cable is allowed but might be special order, although #2/0 cable is a much more common size which will probably be at the home store.

If you use conduit, burial depth should be 18".

Another option would be to reduce your feeder breaker to 90A and install a #2-2-4-6 or #2-2-2-6 direct-burial aluminum mobile home feeder cable. This is a very common item at home centers.

The disadvantage with using USE or MHF is that these cables do not have fire rating so they cannot run inside the building. If you have to run across the basement ceiling for example to get from the panel to the outside, then you'll need to use an indoor cable like SER to a big junction box on the outside of the home where you splice to the underground cable. The advantage of conduit is that you can run continuously from indoors to outdoors.