How to completely remove new work recessed light

Old 03-17-09, 01:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to completely remove new work recessed light

Hi, I'm looking to change an original 6" recessed light over my kitchen sink to a pendant. I looked at the conversion kits, but I just don't like them. I want to remove the can, install a new electrical box, and then patch the extra space around the new box. I need some pointers.

1. How do you take out the old light? Aside from taking out the bulb and trim, I'm not familiar with what to do.

2. After the old light is out, I'll want to install one of these boxes, correct? I don't see an easier way.

3. After installing the box, what is the best way to patch the drywall? I assume the new box will be about 4" while the old hole is 6". I've never patched something like that before!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-09, 02:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 26 Posts
There is normally a screw or screws that holds the housing cylinder to the frame. These can be removed to allow access to the frame.

I feel it would be easier since you already need to do some patching just to cut a section of drywall out from joist to joist by about 12" wide. This will give you good access to remove the old fixture without having to work through the 6" hole. This would also allow you to nail on a new work box to the joist and then patch the drywall.