Dimmer noise filter?

Old 03-18-09, 01:06 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Dimmer noise filter?

I installed a outdoor lamppost with an 'electric eye' that turns the bulb on at dusk. It works just fine but now I have an annoying buzz coming through my AM radio. The interference doesn't affect anything else as far as I can tell. Of course it stops when the sun comes up but I have my breakfast & news while it's still dark.

Not that many years ago every hardware store & Radio Shack had a plug-in EMI filter for these situations but apparently not any more. What can I do about the interference.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-09, 01:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Usually it's built-in to the nicer (more expensive) dimmers. What type of bulb is the outdoor light? The interference could be caused from a ballast from a fluorescent, metal halide, or other such lamp. Bypass the electric eye and see if the interference persists -- that will tell you if the problem is the photo switch or the lamp.

Old 03-20-09, 01:39 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Just your standard dim bulb--25W incandescent.
It's definitely the eye. I didn't know they functioned like dimmers (bulb comes on dim & flickers a little at dusk and gets brighter as it gets darker). I've never hung around to watch one work before--I just though it switched from full Off to full On.

Old 03-20-09, 02:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by guy48065 View Post
I didn't know they functioned like dimmers (bulb comes on dim & flickers a little at dusk and gets brighter as it gets darker). I've never hung around to watch one work before--I just though it switched from full Off to full On.
There are both types of photocell available. You could try buying a different photocell to see if the problem goes away with a different brand.

Old 03-20-09, 08:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 29 Votes on 27 Posts
Had the same problem several years ago, the only way I got rid of it was to replace sensor with another brand.