Breaker switch is off, but still power

Old 03-18-09, 04:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Breaker switch is off, but still power

I went to change out a older plug outlet and followed the wires to the breaker switch(7ft) and flipped it and nothing happened. The plug still has power to it.

Can breaker switches break? so that there is still constant power to the outlet?

Thanks
Matt

PS- I turned all the breakers off in the box and this outlet was still receiving power to it. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-09, 04:41 PM
How are you determining that the outlet is still hot, meter or something actually plugged in??? If all the breakers are off, it has to be dead, or you have a serious problem.

Old 03-18-09, 04:53 PM
I have a light plugged in. I followed the wires, over a dozen times and still come up with the same breaker, but when i switch the breaker off the light remains on. All other breakers work fine. It is a 15amp and the outlet is the only one hooked up to it.

Old 03-18-09, 05:37 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
What happens when you turn off the breakers one by one that you don't think is hooked to it. Try that first with the breaker you think it is off then with the breaker you think it is on. You must do each breaker individually turning them off, checking, then back on, then going to the next breaker.

The above may show you have a cross feed.