no ground wire for closet lights

Old 03-19-09, 01:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
no ground wire for closet lights

I have a couple of lights that are inside of closets that have no ground wire, one is a chain pull the other is push button type.
I was wondering if I should replace the wiring with 14/2 or if this wiring is ok for this purpose?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-09, 10:02 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by stevegb View Post
I have a couple of lights that are inside of closets that have no ground wire, one is a chain pull the other is push button type.
If porcelain or plastic they may not need one.
I was wondering if I should replace the wiring with 14/2 or if this wiring is ok for this purpose?
Are you saying they are connected to something other then NM (Romex)? If so what, K&T?

There are other safety issues with closet lights such as un-shielded bulbs and distance from shelves which may be more of a hazard.

Old 03-19-09, 03:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply, one light is ceramic the other has a plastic base. They are both up high not near anything.

The wire that runs to them is an older type insulated line that has a black and white plastic insulated lines inside but no ground wire. The k&t wiring has all been removed. One of my concerns was if this would pass an insurance inspection?