Flexible Conduit with Service Panel

Old 03-19-09, 09:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Flexible Conduit with Service Panel

I have a question about using flexible conduit with a new service panel.

What I have here is a major butcher job by a previous home owner. The service panel was replaced a few years back. The existing conduit did not line up with the knock-outs on the panel, so they took a sawzall and cut off all of the conduit at the wall penetrations. Then the idiot punched new holes in the wall to run NM alongside the existing conduit and secured it to the conduit with zipties.

So, I am planning to upgrade the panel once again, as I prefer Square D QO panel over the crap they put in. Also need to get rid of all the NM. My question is:

Does Code allow me to use flexible metalic conduit to reconnect the new box to the existing rigid metal conduit?

It would make the connections much easier, as the existing conduit really doesn't line up with the Square D box very well either. This would only be for the branch circuits as the feeder comes in directly through the back of the panel.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-09, 10:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Why are you getting rid of the NM? Unless you have a Federal Pacific or Zinsco or an obsolete brand not sure why you feel it needs to be replaced. What is there?

Old 03-19-09, 10:21 AM
As I stated the NM is running next to the existing conduit. Guess I should have mentioned that it is all surface mounted along a finished basement ceiling. So major code violation there.

Old 03-19-09, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by navyvette View Post
so they took a sawzall and cut off all of the conduit at the wall penetrations. Then the idiot punched new holes in the wall to run NM alongside the existing conduit and secured it to the conduit with zipties ...

...I prefer Square D QO panel over the crap they put in. Also need to get rid of all the NM ...

Does Code allow me to use flexible metalic conduit to reconnect the new box to the existing rigid metal conduit?

It would make the connections much easier, as the existing conduit really doesn't line up with the Square D box very well either. ...
1. So for the wires in the conduit, are the wires just coming out of the cut ends and dropping "naked" into the existing load center knockouts?

2. Have you checked the Racine code (assuming you are in the city) to see what it says about flexible metal conduit? I say that because I believe in Milwaukee it is permitted, but in the older 'burb where I live, it would have to be covered with finishing, which could be as simple as 1/4" plywood, unless the exposed portion does not exceed 18".

Similar for Romex; in Milwaukee it can be run in unfinished basements, but here it has to be covered. In other words, I would have to use EMT, IMT, rigid, or wiremold in a finished or unfinished basement in any case where the exposed portion exceeds 18". When you go into many basements of houses here that have been rewired, you will see a strip of 1/4" scrap plywood nailed over the portion of joist space containing any romex, flex, or BX. Kind of silly but apparently the people have spoken.

3. If you have space, maybe consider a large steel raceway with a removable cover. You would custom drill or punch it to fit over the cut conduits and likewise punch or cut to feed into the load center. I see this a lot on older commercial jobs that have been re-done but I don't know if there are any code issues with fill or induction these days.

4. In many conduit installations, the conduit is being used for grounding. How are those circuits in your conduit grounded? This could be an issue.

Old 03-19-09, 11:20 AM
There are currently no wires coming from the ends of the EMT. The NM is run from the service panel to the first junction box in the EMT run, at that point it is tied into the rest of the EMT runs or (I'm sad to say) tied into the original K & T. My first order of business is get the existing conduit tied back into the panel. Then I will begin the long tedious task of rewiring the rest of the house, and replacing all of the existing K & T.

I tried calling the building inspector, but he was out of the office, so I thought I would start here on the forum for some preliminary info.