Flagpole spotlight

Old 03-21-09, 01:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Flagpole spotlight

I purchased a home a while back and found a lamp post that did not work and could not find a switch. I replaced the bulb and found that it works, but still no way to turn it out. I figured whichever previous homeowner ran a direct line from an outdoor outlet to run the light.

I am taking out the light and installing a flagpole. Being a veteran I am more than aware that the flag must be lit at night. I want to install a decent spotlight and run the wiring that already exists for the light, but of course do not want to have it run all of the time. I tried looking online for a simple solar-type breaker that will only allow the spotlight to run at night. Anyone know of anything like this or suggestions?

Let me just say a quick thing or two first...I do not want solar because I live in a city where we have a lot of grey days and sometimes those things wont charge enough to make it through the night (and they aren't that bright for a 30' pole). Second...I do not want to plug anything in the outlet. I also work long hours and different shifts so I am not always around to switch a light on or off. I want some sort of hidden/discreet time or solar switch to install and be permanent. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-09, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Well, it depends exactly how you are going to mount the flood and what type you use...but photo controls are easy to find and install. Some are built in...or maybe something like this....
Product Information Error Page

Old 03-21-09, 01:30 PM
Wow....I feel pretty dumb now. I couldn't find anything of the sort. Guess I was using the wrong terms while searching.

Old 03-21-09, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
"dusk to dawn" is the common term. As I said...you should be able to find lights with it built right in to the mounting box, or you could buy a seperate photo control and mount it yourself. Lots of options.

Old 03-21-09, 04:34 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Wow....I feel pretty dumb now. I couldn't find anything of the sort. Guess I was using the wrong terms while searching.
Don't feel bad. I had never heard the term Dusk To Dawn till I worked at Home Depot. Walked a customer over to electrical and explained to the associate he need to look at photocells. Associate swore we didn't carry them. I pointed at the shelf and he replied, "oh, dusk to dawn". After the customer left he argued with me photocell was not the correct term.

Old 03-21-09, 04:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 35 Posts
If you could find where the circuit gets its power from a auto-adjusting timer might be an option also.

Old 03-21-09, 10:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Also be sure to buy a light which can be installed in the upward facing position. Most outdoor spotlights can only be installed at a 30 degree downward angle, but you obviously need one pointing up.

Old 03-22-09, 01:26 AM
Most flag post I ran into typically used either indentscent spot luminaire or HID type and make sure they are rated for upward angle and they useally have enclosed type so the water don't get into the luminaire that is crictail part there.

And yes they can have photocell installed on the luminaire itself.

Normally I useally keep the photocell away from the luminarie especally if aimed upward sometime the light will reflect from the ground can affect the photocell operation so keep in your mind with this matter.

Merci,Marc

Old 03-22-09, 01:29 AM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Don't feel bad. I had never heard the term Dusk To Dawn till I worked at Home Depot. Walked a customer over to electrical and explained to the associate he need to look at photocells. Associate swore we didn't carry them. I pointed at the shelf and he replied, "oh, dusk to dawn". After the customer left he argued with me photocell was not the correct term.

Ray .,

The word dusk to dawn useally mean it will be on allnite and the real correct word is photocell or electric eye one of the two and according the bleuprints they will say photocell in there.

Merci,Marc