Gfci

Old 03-21-09, 03:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gfci

I recently bought a house and have discovered that 2 GFCI's that passed inspection before I purchased the house all of a sudden they don't work. I know that they can be chained and all that good stuff but when I looked at them wiring for them the wires went into different holes then one of the other ones. What I am wondering is how in the world did they work 2 ago and now they don't. If it was just one then I would just chalk it up to it going bad but 2 at the same time just doesn't sound very likely and that is why I am asking.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-09, 03:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 34 Posts
When you say they don't work have you tried to reset them and/or look for a tripped breaker? Does what you tried to plug into the GFIs work in other receptacles?

do you have any sort of test equipment like a 3 light plug-in tester or simple neon probe tester?

Old 03-23-09, 09:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can you correlate any event with "all of a sudden"? Were you using some appliance when it happened? Was there a rainstorm?

Go to your home center and spend $8 on a simple outlet tester, the kind that plugs into the outlet and has three lamps.

Follow pcboss's advice too. Press all the reset buttons you can find and turn off and back on all your breakers.