Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Outlet works, switch doesn't - on a GFCI Combo Outlet & Switch - Leviton 7299-NW

Outlet works, switch doesn't - on a GFCI Combo Outlet & Switch - Leviton 7299-NW

Old 03-21-09, 11:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I'm replacing an old combo outlet / switch in a bathroom and can't get the Leviton 7299 to work.

I can get the outlet to work fine, but cannot get the switch to work.

Here's the super simple setup:

Line black to black, line white to white, and ground to ground.

Yay! We have power! Outlet works as well.

But the switch isn't as faithful. The instructions say to connect the switch wires to the lamp (or in my case fan). They are really straight forward, and in my case, shouldn't be any funny business.

The load terminals (unused, covered in sticker) get power as well.

I've tried every combination I can think of after the instructions let me down. I thought I had a faulty unit, but this is the second one I tried with this problem. So here I am, hoping the problem is me.

What do you suggest?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-09, 04:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I am assuming your line is entering where the white and black are across from each other on the bottom of the receptacle. Where does the neutral from your fan go? Testing the two hot wires from the switch probably won't give a light. You will need to go to a neutral to test them.

Old 03-22-09, 01:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The two wires you are testing in the lower picture are the switch contacts itself, not switch powe. One lead needs to go to hot, the other to the load, the load neutral connected to where it needs to.

Old 03-22-09, 02:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I was wondering about whether or not the switch was internally wired hot or if you had to jump to the switch. Guess you're right. At least that is what it looks like to me.