Low Voltage Lighting Transformer Trouble, HELP pls!

Old 03-22-09, 06:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Low Voltage Lighting Transformer Trouble, HELP pls!

I have a newly acquired used low voltage lighting transformer that I'm trying to utilize in a DIY underwater dock light experiment.
The knob on the transformer can be turned to dusk-to-dawn; manual off; manual on; or select number of hours on. There's also a photocell connected to the transformer, of course. The problem is that as soon as I plug into 110v it is ON no matter what setting the knob is on. No position will turn it off.

Can anyone offer suggestions as to what the problem is, or what I should do next? I cannot tell who the manufacturer is as there is no name anywhere I can find.

Thanks for any and all input.

Kind Regards.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-09, 06:56 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You should not be trying to use an unknown transformer for an underwater light. This is disaster waiting to happen. Just because it is low voltage doesn't mean it can't kill. The fact that it is used just adds a red flag. They do make low voltage lighting that is intended for underwater use with fixtures and wiring intended for submerged use. That is the only thing you should consider using.

Old 03-22-09, 11:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I agree with Ray with this matter and this is a very serious issue and with unknowen manufacter this is a automatic red flag espcally near water area.

You should have legit swimming pool luminaires for that useage and the code is very strict on this matter and I really strongly advise you get ahold of electrician to check out your situation there due you will make underwater dock luminaire.

There is few brandname that will be used with underwater duty however watch out very carefully they have swimming pool verison and fondiation verison.

Merci,Marc