Moving Stove and Fridge outlets

Old 03-23-09, 07:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Moving Stove and Fridge outlets

Hi There

We are looking to move the stove outlet about 6 feet. What I am wondering is if we can re-use the exsisting cable and use a junction box for the remainder of the cable. The junction box would actually be put in the same room as the panel and accesssible. We would be using split-bolt connectors for the splices in the junction box. With the price of copper today we are looking to salvage as much as we can.

Also we are looking to move the fridge as well. Should it be on its own breaker?

OK..OK...one more. How far from the sink should a light switch be located? There is a light over the sink but it looks like it is wired with the main light switch to the kitchen. It has never worked and we were thinking of separating it now that we have the chance.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance!
Seragilo

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-09, 08:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
You may splice onto the existing cable if, like you said, you keep the splice accessible. Also the stove feed must be 4 wires now (Hot,hot,neutral,ground) If it is not you must run a new feed.
Just a note, copper prices have come way down and are about 1/3 the cost of about 1 1/2 years ago. If it is easier to run new that may not be a bad choice.

Most manufactures require a fridge on it own circuit. 15 amp is fine.

There is no requirement for how far a switch is away from a sink. Put it on the wall where you want it.

Old 03-24-09, 07:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 34 Posts
I feel that there are much easier ways to splice vs using a split bolt and all the rubber and vinyl taping mess. Polaris and NSI make pre-insulated connectors where you just strip the wires, insert and tighten the setscrew. If you have the correct 4 wire feed and do decide to splice get a large junction box to allow plenty of room for the wires and allow room to work.

If it were me I would run a new feed for the stove and avoid the splice.

Old 03-24-09, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi There.

I agree I would rather run a new cable however, only a couple of feet would be needed and the cost of throwing out all that cable is kind of painful!

Thanks for the advice!
Seragilo

Old 03-24-09, 08:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Seragilo View Post
Also we are looking to move the fridge as well. Should it be on its own breaker?
By code, the fridge can be on one of the two countertop circuits or a general kitchen circuit or on it's on circuit. Most people would recommend it's own circuit so you don't have to worry about tripped circuits spoiling food or anything like that. Usually a 15A circuit is fine unless you're planning an industrial-sized one.

Old 03-24-09, 08:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Seragilo View Post
Hi There.

I agree I would rather run a new cable however, only a couple of feet would be needed and the cost of throwing out all that cable is kind of painful!

Thanks for the advice!
Seragilo
You need to consider the cost of the additional materials for the splicing. You also avoid one less potential spot for a splicing failure later on.