Cost of copper

Old 03-23-09, 08:47 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Cost of copper

A few days ago I received a couple of discount cards for the blue/red homecenter. One of them was $10. off an $50 dollar purchase. Well, I wanted to get a spool of green #12 stranded THHN and a spool of either red or blue of the same wire. My local L***S had black and green for $40. a spool. Today I was in a different city and dropped in at the local L***S to see if they had the correct colors. They had the green and it was marked $40. On an upper shelf they had some blue but no price listing. I took them both to the check-out and the green rang up the correct price but the blue didn't go through at all. I told the young woman it was the same price but she tried again and said it sold by the foot. She entered 500 feet and it popped up at $145.00. I told her to keep it.

I was rather upset this late in the day, having had bad luck at a couple of other stops so I also dropped the discount card and told her to have the company stop sending me these cards. If I hadn't of lost my cool I would have asked for the manager but...

I think that $40. is a decent price for a spool of #12 stranded THHN but why more than three times that price for just a different color?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-09, 09:01 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You should of asked for the manager. There are usually two SKUs with different UPCs.. I ran into the same sort of thing at Lowe's buying acoustical ceiling tiles. Clerk wanted to charge me the case price for each individual tile. The UPC description on the register clearly stated it was per case price but I could not convince her that one tile was not a case. There was two UPC numbers on the tile (one for case price and one for individual) but she refused to scan the second one. Then again sometimes it is better to just walk away before you loose it.

Last edited by ray2047; 03-23-09 at 10:47 PM.
Old 03-23-09, 09:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
The clerk was wrong -- there's the spool price and the per foot price. She rang up the per foot price instead of the spool price. It should have been about $40 for the entire spool.

Old 03-23-09, 11:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you have issue you should show this to the manger and spool of 500 footer useally run about 40 thereabout that price.

In France it is almost the same now.

Merci,Marc

Old 03-24-09, 06:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
I'm thinking Ben is correct. They really give it to you when you buy it by the foot. Price should have been same as the green spool.