Replacing old electric baseboard heaters

Old 03-25-09, 09:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing old electric baseboard heaters

Okay, so..My wife and I bought this house in Hudson,Nh
Build in 1982

The house had electric baseboard heaters installed in all rooms on just the first floor

So, as we are remodeling all rooms, we want to get rid of some heaters, and in other room we will keep the heaters but replaced with smaller ones

I had gone into the wire box in basement and seen that the breakers are set in 2's. Meaning 2 switches attached with a metal bracket to power on 1 baseboard unit.

I had looked further into the wiring
For each heater.They had it wired with the neutral - white - wire on one break and the back wire on the other breaker.
To me ,it sounded like it was pulling double power to heat these rooms.
i am not sure if this is how the wiring should of been setup as, but thats how it is

So.. i want to replace all the units.
Some rooms i had cut the wire, capped it and stuck it in the wall.Also disconnected those wires in the box

On the rooms that i do want the heaters kept but replaced, i had unplugged the wires of course in the box and cut the wire to the old baseboard heater.

now i need to buy a new thermostat,new heater and re wire it all up.

Would i still connect the wire in the main panel box, white on 1 breaker and black on the other?

The thermostat i bought is a honeywell Ct410A - B line voltage.

im assuming there is different types.
This is what im confused on.

So i got this thermostat that has 4 wires
2 blacks and 2 reds
Im assuming the ones label'd - T1 and T2 will be wired to heater and the labels L1 and L2 will be from power.

Its confusing to read the instruction booklet from thermostat.
It shows to different digrams.
One has 2 wires from power connecting to the 2 wires on thermostat and the other diagram shows the Hot wire attaching to a wire on the thermostat - L1 and the other Wire is wired directly to the heater.

Anyways,can someone clarify this up a bit more before i plug this thing in ?

Thank you much guys and girls.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-09, 10:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 27 Posts
The white wire was being used as another hot leg to your baseboard heaters. They are a straight 240v unit and do not require a neutral. Since you are working with them you should re-identify the whites with a black or red magic marker or colored electrical tape.

Are you sure that the down sized units will provide enough heat?

About your T-stat, the incoming wires connect to the terminals labeled L1 and L2. The wires to the unit connect to T1 and T2.

You really didn't need to cut the wires to remove the units. Just remove the locknut on the connectors and pull the heater off the wires. Reinstall by reversing this process.

Old 03-25-09, 11:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Re;

Thanks for the info

I currently am heating the house with hot air.
Some rooms i want to replace with smaller baseboard units to free up space.

i am looking to keep some heaters over the garage area,just incase in the future,if i need them, they are there.

As for cutting the wires.yea i tried to remove the nut and some of them the clip holder wouldnt release it.
Im moving the heaters to like 1 foot over.So i dont mind re slicing the wires up for this..

Anyways,thank you very much on that info
Really appericate it.