wiring gas fireplace, tub heater and tub pump?

Old 03-26-09, 12:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wiring gas fireplace, tub heater and tub pump?

the gas fireplace has a fan to move the heat. I was going to have 2 20amp circuits in family room, alternating outlets so that any outlets that are next to each other will be on different circuit. Think it is OK to just put the fireplace on one of these? Concern was that TV and other electronics would be on one or both of these circuits depending on arrangement of furniture, and that the motor of fan could cause interference? can't find the rating of the fan in installation manual that I downloaded. don't yet have fireplace.

the tub that I have (jacuzzi) has a corded heater (needs dedicated 15amp GFCI circuit-although rated at 12amps so right at 80%) and a corded pump (needs dedicated 15amp GFCI circuit-rated at 7amps). just in case in future a replacement tub needs more power, I think I was gonna run 12/2 to each, but put them on 15amp breakers. now both have a terminal on the side for bonding. The instructions do NOT show or mention bonding of the pump. it does say to "use #8 copper to bond heater to house electrical panel or approved local bond" and shows the bond going from the heater to the junction box (although they don't specify, obviously metal!) I have PVC plumbing so can't bond that way. OK to just use steel boxes and attach the copper wire to box with a lug? and do same for pump?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-09, 12:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by hammerash View Post
Think it is OK to just put the fireplace on one of these?
It should be fine. A fireplace blower is usually a small motor like 1/8HP -- very similar to a typical desk fan.

I was gonna run 12/2 to each, but put them on 15amp breakers.
Sounds just fine to me.

now both have a terminal on the side for bonding.
If everything is plastic (junction box, drain, supply) then you don't need to bond anything. If you have copper supply lines or a metal junction box, those should be bonded to the motor and heater lugs with #8 solid copper. The bonding wire does not need to go back to the electrical panel; only to those metal items which are in the vicinity of the tub.

Old 03-26-09, 01:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
great. just checked and all the hoses that were "pre-plumbed" are the flex plastic and my house supply and drain are PVC (or is it CPVC?) anyway, no copper so sounds easiest just to use plastic box and be done!

Although, looking around under tub, probably need surface mount box and don't recall seeing plastic surface mount? can you just use screw through back of a plastic box to mount it? if I use steel box, how do you attach a lug? just use a grounding screw (so you get enough thread contact) and attach a lug to one of the small holes in the box and attach the #8 Cu to that.

Old 03-26-09, 02:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by hammerash View Post
great. just checked and all the hoses that were "pre-plumbed" are the flex plastic
That's PEX (often red and blue).

and my house supply and drain are PVC (or is it CPVC?)
Drains are PVC (white) and supply lines are sometimes CPVC (yellowish)

anyway, no copper so sounds easiest just to use plastic box and be done!...probably need surface mount box and don't recall seeing plastic surface mount?
Carlon makes blue plastic 4x4 square boxes and covers.

if I use steel box, how do you attach a lug? just use a grounding screw (so you get enough thread contact) and attach a lug to one of the small holes in the box and attach the #8 Cu to that.
Yep.