power vent hot water heaters

Old 03-27-09, 08:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
power vent hot water heaters

Has anyone heard of any code requiring power vent hot water heaters having to be on their own circuit? Had some tech tell me they have to be to avoid surges that screw up circuit boards

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-09, 03:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
A lot of manufactures will tell you that their piece of equipment needs a dedicated circuit just to cover their butt if anything were to go wrong.

While there is no code specifically pertaining to power vented water heaters, there is ones stating that you have to wire it according to manufactures requirements. IE: The manufacture says it needs a dedicated circuit, you have to put one in. Fridges are another good example of this.

Old 03-27-09, 04:54 PM
Fans use relatively little power and rarely require dedicated circuits. As Tolyn said, there's no electrical code that mandates this, and in my experience, it's not typical either.

I'm a bit confused, however. What circuit board are they worried about? Gas water heaters (the only kind that requires a vent) don't usually have circuit boards.

Old 03-27-09, 05:32 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by John Nelson View Post
Fans use relatively little power and rarely require dedicated circuits. As Tolyn said, there's no electrical code that mandates this, and in my experience, it's not typical either.

I'm a bit confused, however. What circuit board are they worried about? Gas water heaters (the only kind that requires a vent) don't usually have circuit boards.
Never even heard of a power vent for WH till this forum but perhaps the WH and vent are interconnected so the WH won't come on if the vent fan doesn't function or perhaps the vent fan has a sensor to turn it on and off automatically. If the manufacturer is worried about surges why couldn't you use a surge protector? A good one isn't cheap but probably no more then installing a new circuit, and less hassle then running new wire. Of course the key line here may be a tech told him not that the manufacturer says so in the manual. Might want to read the manual first.

Old 03-27-09, 05:54 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
just F.Y.I., my Rheem water heater is a gas fired power vent. On a call for heat, the fan comes on to purge the exhaust before burner ignition. Right or wrong, mine is wired to the basement lighting circuit. Passed all approvals 12 years ago and (fingers crossed) is still going strong.

Old 03-27-09, 05:59 PM
perhaps the WH and vent are interconnected so the WH won't come on if the vent fan doesn't function............

Exactly correct....

If the fan doesnt function, the gas valve shuts down and locks out.

Most of the newer gas water heaters are "Pilot-less"..The Ignition control depends on input from the fan , as well as Issuing fan request.