Wiring Motor

Old 03-27-09, 07:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring Motor

I have a 1/2hp 1phs 120v electrical motor with 3 wires coming out of it... orange blue and black. It is in a amprobe rg5410hp a/c recycling machine. I bought the machine tore apart and I am replacing the starting capacitor. How do I know which is the start winding, run winding, and common? Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-09, 11:25 PM
Welcome to the forums!

Does this help? Manual PDF (See page 11)

Old 03-30-09, 01:12 PM
Ok, but the diagram doesnt show the wires on the motor. How can I figure out which circuit is run and which circuit is starting inside the motor. The 3 wires coming from the motor are orange blue and black.

Old 03-30-09, 02:25 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Try page 12. Hard to see but colors are given. You might want to print it out.

Old 04-04-09, 02:24 PM
Well I got the motor where it runs like supposed to, when the compressor start switch is hit. Is it normal to hear a hum coming from the run winding as soon as I cut the main switch on? In other words... should the run winding hum if direct ac current is applied to it?

Old 04-04-09, 03:13 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
How loud is the hum? Do you need to be very close to here it. You will always have a bit of hum caused by hysteresis. It's really the leaves of the stator. Noise can increase with age or be a product of poor manufacturing. If very loud you may have a problem. You wold need to check the running amps under load and meger the windings.

Old 04-04-09, 05:14 PM
I appreciate the help, but im still confused. From everywhere I read, the run circuit should hum until power is applied to the start circuit (with the capacitor). Is this correct? After I energize the run circuit, should it hum until I energize the start circuit? After I energize the start circuit, the motor spins and the noise stops.