doorbell transformer on shared junction box

Old 03-27-09, 07:38 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
doorbell transformer on shared junction box

Is it okay to have the door bell transformer mounted to a junction box that will also have nm cable going to other receptacles? I will have a 12-2 source cable that will attach to the transformer wires and also two other 12-2 cables that will be going to power ceiling lights. The box is large enough to accommodate this many wires and will be properly mounted in the attic with a cover plate and be accessible. I understand the transformer generates some heat, so it will be clear of insulation. I have read something about low voltage wires not sharing the box with high voltage, but did not think that applied in this situation as the doorbell wiring is outside of the box. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-09, 08:04 PM
As long as the "Low Voltage wires" are out side of the box, I would assume you to be safe....

The "No-No" occurs when the Low volt wires are spliced inside of a box with "Line" voltage wiring.

What you propose, technically is not "Sharing" a box.

Old 04-14-09, 10:54 AM
N
I guess this might be obvious, but just to be sure ... the line voltage connections must be made inside the box. Only the low voltage connections can be made outside the box.