Ceiling wiring

Old 03-28-09, 07:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling wiring

I just removed a drop ceiling in my kitchen and all of the electrical wires ran through the drop ceiling. I'm now going to put a new ceiling in to give the kitchen more room. How can I get the wiring up between the joists without rewiring and drilling holes through the joists? I thought about cutting notches in the joist and then adding a steel plate over the notch to bring back the support? Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Gary

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-09, 07:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Gary, welcome to the forums! Are the ceiling joists exposed now? Will you be sheetrocking or installing another drop ceiling ?
You probably won't have enough slack in any one cable to completely hide it up in the joists. If you do, notching and applying no-nail plates will work, just don't dig too deep into the joist.

Old 03-28-09, 09:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
Notching and nail plates is acceptable from a wiring standpoint. It will however weaken the joist.

Old 03-28-09, 09:32 PM
Ceiling wiring

Thanks for the advice. I'm not putting in another drop ceiling so looks like the notching and nail plates should work. I'll try and keep the notches very shallow so as not to weaken the joist.

Gary

Old 03-29-09, 08:15 AM
How many wires are you talking about?Is there an attic above it? Are they all running in the same area. As talked about in the thread notching could weaking your Joist.

Jim