Newbie in need of help! Drum switch redo!

Old 03-29-09, 12:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Newbie in need of help! Lathe Drum switch redo!

I found this forum and am blown away by the wealth of information available and the willingness of everyone to try and assist . Thanks in advance and apologies if this is redundant. I have just acquired an older craftsman metal lathe
which is wired with an on-off switch only. On is ccw rotation and I want to be able to add a drum switch to be able to reverse direction when needed for my purposes. I have extensively read previous posts to try and get the terminology correct so please bear with me. Presently the motor is a 1/3 hp dunlap split phase( which I assume is also a single phase?yes I know what happens when you assume!) 110 volt set up with a tag that says to reverse rotation , switch the yellow leads. Fine. Except that the cord line coming into the motor has a black , white and green wire, which was cut and spliced back together with the black and white joined and run to the current on/off switch.It was also connected to the only two poles on the motor. Here's where it gets fun. On the motor there are only 4 wires(not six as in some posts) that happen to be the same color. All mottled brown. Let me digress, the lathe as acquired did work fine as wired when I received it but only in the one direction . I say to myself, I'll just get a drum switch and install it and since we know the motor is reversible this will be a piece of cake , right!
Not so much. I am in the electrically challenged category so I know that there are more intelligent people out there like Furd and Joed who could perhaps help this novice if I supply enough pics and info. The four wires from the motor are connected to the two poles on the motor and I was able to determine by labeling them and moving them between poles that wires three and four by my labeling when moved to wire one on the right hand pole(see photo) controlled the rotation. Great, except that as far as I can get. I hooked up the furnas drum switch as described in previous postsand the best I can get it to do is act as an on/off switch. Please take a look at the pics when you can, and tell me if I can actually use this switch and motor combo, and if I can what wires I need to add in order to hook up the darn thing correctly. I am a little tired of popping the breaker . I will also allow me to cut down on my drinking!!Beer 4U2 Off course now I have to figure out how to upload pictures > Help Please. The switch is a
Furnas with the L- shaped pole configuration I will post a bunch of pics once I figure it out . Thanks for your patience!!

Last edited by rjp1960; 03-29-09 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Added info
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-09, 09:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
To upload pictures you have to use a site like Photobucket and then put the link in your post.

Old 03-29-09, 09:47 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Difficult reading your post because of lack of paragraphs so I may have missed it but do you know for sure if the motor is reversible? What is the manufacturer of the motor and it's model number.

Old 03-29-09, 12:18 PM
nap
as tolyn stated, use photobucket or some other photo sharing website and link.

if you cannot do that, list each of the wires in the motor. list the wiring schematic on the motor. post the manuf and model of the drum switch and/or describe the switch.

Old 03-29-09, 01:56 PM
Drum Switch wiring Pics

Thanks for the photobucket suggestion guys! Here's the URL to the pics [IMG]//http://photobucket.com/rjp1960[/IMG] I have the following data available. The motor is a 1/3 rd HP Dunlap which is reversible according to the tag. It has two terminals/poles with four internal wires total. Two are attached to each pole along with a black and white wire from the switch and power cord. After tagging all the wires which were Identical in appearance I was able to determine that if I switched poles on wires three and four I could change the direction of rotation. Now when I attached the black and white wire to the drum switch which is a Furnas with six poles
as was observed in a post about a month ago. I was able to get the drum switch to act as an on off switch in the reverse position only.

Now I know there are a bunch of you on the floor rolling around laughing, but I will hope for some of the pity I know is out there. I feel as if I have to add wiring from the motor to the switch as in some of the previous posted pics on this subject but I don't have the black and red wires or red or brown wires referred to in any previous discussions. I have four identical looking wires which leads me not to understand any of the L1 or L2 or T1 T2 or #5 & * wires mentioned in those posts. If this is a topic best discussed by PM I am willing to not bore anyone to death with another discussion of this topic.

I hope i can pay this back to those that need advice in fishing
and fishing tackle crafting as that is my area of expertise.

Old 03-29-09, 02:22 PM
Old 03-29-09, 03:27 PM
nap
do you want to keep the single pole switch to use as an on/off switch and simply use the drum switch to reverse the motor?

You will also need to attach to each of the leads (not the terminals) in the motor independently.

here is a link to some drum control info. Down on page 5, figure 3, there is a hook-up for what you want. look under ac single and 3 phase. if you look for the split phase diagram, that should be what you are looking for. Notice the "internal connections- bottom view". You need to be sure that this is the same as your switch. You will need a continuity tester to make sure the connections shown match yours. You do this before anything is hooked to the switch.

http://www.hubbell-icd.com/icd/drum/...ontrollers.pdf

Old 03-29-09, 03:45 PM
re: drum switch

Nap ,
Thanks for looking
I would like to replace the on off switch with the drum switch.
I am in need of understanding wiring from wall outlet to motor to drum switch and back to motor. Based on what you've seen is this possible given what i have? I am trying to open the PDF file that you provided but Adobe reader is giving me a momentary headache.

Rich

PS Ray2047 Thanks for posting pics. How were you able to post them to the thread directly? For future reference. thanks

Old 03-29-09, 04:14 PM
Drum switch

Nap,
After viewing the hubbell pdf I find that my drum switch terminals match the internal connections of page five, figure 1
with forward and reverse being opposing L's with off in the middle.Would I then use the diagram for split phase/ 4 lead as shown in figure 1 bottom right corner? If so, and I am embarassed to ask this what wires from the motor and/ or power cord are corresponding to the diagram? I am assuming that I will have to extend the leads or wires (correct terminolgy?) coming out of the motor to run to the drum switch in some fashion no ? What gets attached to the poles posts on the motor ? Electricians make how much an hour ?
I missed my calling.

Rich

Old 03-29-09, 05:12 PM
nap
Electricians make how much an hour ?
Sometimes, not nearly enough. I was just reminiscing with a friend about another friend working at one of our state prisons. Trying to make a long story short; one of the electricians working at the prison was marked to be killed becuase one of the prisoners didn't like him for some reason.

anyway, back to the post;

it's nice they didn't label the terminals so for simplfication, figure they are numbered like this

1 2

3 4

5 6

edited this section out to remove confusion, mostly mine.

Hopefully one of the whiz kids will check this for me. The mind is fuzzy today but I believe it is correct.

Oh, heck with it. the last pic in that section is the correct way to hook it up. the yellow go to 1 and 5, the power from the wall to 2 and 6 and the remaining leads from the motor to 3 and 4. If it goes backwards when you tell it to go forward, switch the wires on 1 and 5. You end up with the same as I first listed but this way you have a little diagram to look at AND COPY and attach to the drum switch so you know how it is hooked up should you need it in the future.

Old 03-29-09, 07:47 PM
Thumbs up Drum switch success!!!

Nap,

We have lift off. I can't thank you enough. As I wire the switch and see the contact points it makes clear sense, but I like many I guess can't see the forest through the trees.

I will post pic of lathe in rod production when I get her wired up cleanly.

Beer 4U2

Rich

Old 03-29-09, 09:31 PM
PS Ray2047 Thanks for posting pics. How were you able to post them to the thread directly? For future reference. thanks
At Photo Bucket they give several forms of links for each pictures. Easiest is to copy the direct link to your clipboard. Go to your post your writing and select the Insert Image link at the top and just paste it in and click "OK". The insert image icon is the second from the right, next to the quote icon.

Your attempt had two errors. A malformed URL plus you were trying to use the URL of an HTML page as an image URL. Next time you have a URL for a page of thumbnails just paste in the URL. The forum software will make it clickable.