220V In line switch

Old 03-29-09, 02:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool 220V In line switch

Is there a simple on/off switch to go inline between a window air conditioner and the standard 220 volt outlet. The controls on the AC are built-in too high to get access. All they have is the power cord hanging down the wall to the outlet. Is there a switch that I can plug into the outlet and then plug the AC into?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-09, 03:03 PM
nap
Not that I am aware of. You would need to run the electrical feed to a switch and then from that switch to a proper receptacle.

how about using the breaker?

Old 03-29-09, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. The breakers are all downstairs for this circuit. I either need something I can cut and put inline (like a 110 volt light switch {flip or round}) or some type of switch box on the outlet.

Old 03-29-09, 03:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I presume the existing receptacle box is single gang. You would want to remove it and replace with a two gang box. You will need a heavy duty two pole switch. You may find one at Home Depot or Lowe's. If not an electrical supply house can sell you one. You would run the two line conductors to one side of the switch and jumper from the other side to the receptacle.

One gotcha here will be a cover plate. you can buy two partial plates that snap together to make one plate. Electrical house may be able to supply a ready made one. Check before starting to be sure you can get a cover plate to fit. If not leave the existing single gang box and add a second for the switch.

Notes: A single pole switch will work but I like the extra safety of a two pole. If you use a single pole don't use a cheap light switch. Use a motor rated. switch.

Instead of a switch you may be able to use a line voltage thermostat but the climate control pros will have to comment on that since most line voltage thermostats are for heat, backwards of what you need..

Old 03-29-09, 03:52 PM
Thanks again, but reworking the box is out for me. Maybe an electrician could make it look right, but I am afraid I would not. It is in someone else's house and in their living room. The box is was installed before the high grade paneling. I would not dare cut into it, so I need an exterior option. In practice, it should not be that difficult to turn an appliance on or off since there oem switches don't appear to be that heavy duty. I was hoping to even find an inline solution that would have a remote just for on and off. I know the newer ACs have remotes.

Old 03-29-09, 11:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
.Not sure it would be code compliant but you could use a handy box, two 1 foot length of 12-3 SO cable, appropriate male and female plugs, and a heavy duty switch to make a extension cord with a switch in the middle. You could simplify it a bit by using a toggle switch type unfused AC disconnect instead of a handy box, switch, and cover plate. In either case you will also need to use cord clamps where the SO exits the box. Assuming metal box the ground will need to be pigtailed to it.

Fasten a mounting loop to the box and use one of those Scotch "easy-release" adhesive hooks to hang it in place so no strain on the cords.

Old 03-30-09, 12:45 AM
Maybe there is one trick I don't know if you can find this in the big box but you can get deep well two gang wiremold box The model number is 5744-2 which it is deep two gang box so that way you can mount a double pole toggle or rocker switch and the 240 volt 20 amp receptale set up like that.

If the big box store don't have it then try any one of the electrical supply centre they useally carry wiremold items { or simuair to them }

Merci,Marc

Old 03-30-09, 09:21 AM
Question Ray, what is a handy box specifically? If it is an external wall box, then could I not just cut the existing cord and connect it inside the box to a switch. I am quite naive.
I did try to find the other suggestion (5744-2) by searching for that product number, but could find nothing on the internet. I know Lowe's etc, do not have what I need and the one electric store I stopped at wanted $90 for a switch box that would look terrible in their living room. I will keep on keeping on. Keep the suggestions coming. I am sure it will work out. I was even thinking outside the box and looking for something that was meant to be outside (grey boxes or switches) and adapt them, paint them, or cover them somehow. Just exploring all avenues. Thanks for all the input.

Old 03-30-09, 11:05 AM
Received 26 Votes on 24 Posts
Search "220 volt power strips" They are common in Europe and perhaps available over here for imported equipment. You might find one with a substantial enough power switch for what you are doing.

My 2 cents,
Bud