3 gang 400w remote dimmer switch problems

Old 03-30-09, 08:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
3 gang 400w remote dimmer switch problems

I am new to this site so first of all Hello, next I have a problem to which I need advice please.

My electrician a week ago wired up a 3 gang 400w (each) remote dimmer switch. He has taken a constant live feed and put the live in the junction box to run the 3 lights. The lights are:

1 x Breakfast room 3 x 60w screw candle bulbs
1 x Decking 300w Halogen bulb
1 x Covered Decking 100w bayonet light bulb with light shade

I have just had the room plastered and a yesterday I found that the switch outside the halogen does not switch off its constantly on. There is no signs of any yellow or any burn on the back of the switch, if I try the wires from the other lights they don't work either so I know its not the electrics.

I have called the switch company and they say that its a faulty switch. Do you agree or do you think that the halogen caused it to malfunction?

Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-09, 08:33 AM
Please clarify "remote switch"? Does "remote" mean a wireless, battery-operated switch (which is the normal meaning)? Or do you simply mean a switch that is located some distance away, but still connected by wires?

For simple switches (on and off from one location only), it is simple to tell if the switch is good or bad simply by bypassing it. Connect the two wires to each other and the light should be on. Separate the two wires and the light should be off. If all this is true, then the problem must be the switch.

But I'm not really sure what kind of switch you have exactly.

Old 03-30-09, 08:43 AM
Hi john thankd for your reply.

It is remote control dimmer switch, i.e I can point the remote at it and dim the lights. I believe the switch is broken. However, I wanted to ask advice on whether or not it was caused by the halogen light?

Old 03-30-09, 09:08 AM
Ah, so this is a hand-held remote?

Does the wall switch have a manual mode? Does it work okay if operated manually while standing next to it (i.e., not using the hand-held remote)?

Can you tell us the make and model number of the switch?

Old 03-30-09, 09:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
The halogen bulb should not adversly affect the dimmer. Is this a Lutron Maestro dimmer? If so, there will be a small pull-out tab right below the rocker. You may need something slender like a knife or screwdriver blade to slide it out. If that pull-out successfully turns out the light but the rocker switch does not, then you can be pretty confident that the dimmer circuitry is faulty.

Old 03-30-09, 09:23 AM
Yes of course I bought it from www.internetswitchstore.co.uk

The switch is iNi403M - 3 Gang 1 Way or (Multi-Way if used with slave) 3 x 400W Varilight Remote/Touch Dimmer