Adding a new box into existing wall

Old 03-30-09, 10:49 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Adding a new box into existing wall

Pulled off the builder light fixture in my parents house to put in a new one and they had just punched, literally, a hole in the wall, pulled the wire out and screwed the rectangular light bar randomly into the wall (some hit studs, some didnt)

I would like to install a new fixture that will need a box to install on to. I dont think an old work box will be strong enough to hold up the fixture, so should i just cut out a rectangle of drywall, enough so that i can nail in a new box on to a stud from the side? What happens if this positions the box off centre to the sink?

Do i have any other options?

Old 03-31-09, 03:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I hate shoddy work. If the sheetrock alone held up the fixture, an old work box should be able to do the job. You will need to cut a 4 1/4" hole for the box to fit, feed your wire into it and install it in the hole. What type fixture was it? Sounds as if it was in the bathroom. Using the old work box allows for movement closer to center, except when I do it. There usually a stud dead center where I want to install it

Old 03-31-09, 05:07 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
If there is a stud where you want the light, and you have only one cable feeding the light, you can use a steel pancake box and attach it to the stud.

Otherwise, as Chandler posted, a remodel box will work just fine for just about any wall mounted light. Just make sure not to cut the hole too big.

Old 03-31-09, 08:13 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Long light bars are often screwed to studs on either side of the box. Fastening to the box is really more supplemental then anything else. If you really needed more support then a standard old work box you could use an old work fan support between the studs. Yes designed for horizontal but should work vertical.

Old 03-31-09, 08:18 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The installation you describe is typical of the bathroom bar fixture above the mirror. A box really would serve no purpose there since the fixture is designed to be held up by the wall and the fixture provides its own connection box. And sheetrock is plenty strong enough (with appropriate fasteners) to hold up most lightweight fixtures.

Unless the fixture is unusually heavy, an old-work box would be strong enough. Otherwise, you can cut out a strip of drywall and install a 2x4 cross brace. Drywall is cheap and easy to repair, and you'll probably need to repaint that wall anyway if you put in a different fixture.

Old 03-31-09, 01:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
John's right. I didn't realize it was a light bar, just from the first post a "fixture". With a regular fixture, a box would be needed, but not with the bar configuration.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: