Running home runs in attic

Old 03-31-09, 11:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Running home runs in attic

Hi im from New Brunswick Canada,What are the rules about running wires in an attic that is not used for storage or anything?
My house im building has no basement so the panel is in a corner of the living room which i will build a closet around.
I have about 15 wires running up into the attic above the panel (There not Hooked in yet) and then out to rooms where there loads are,Some runs are 40 feet. The house is 1 story 30 by 50 .
The runs that go to the far rooms are run together,I have not stapled them yet,The attic will not be used for anything so can i just staple them to the rafters? and do i need to space out the wires ?they only run all together above the panel for about 20 feet them branch out.
Also I ran my 14/2 wire through my walls to each receptical and drilled the holes for running the wire about 12 from the floor Is this ok?/I hope so because all the recepticals are installed!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-09, 12:08 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
the panel is in a corner of the living room which i will build a closet around.
Can't say for sure about Canada but this would not be permitted in the USA. Exception would be if you could prove it was for electrical only and would not be used for storage. Not likely the inspector would accept that and then there is the whole issue of free space required around the panel.

I'll leave comments on the rest of your plan to the Canadian electricians.

Old 03-31-09, 12:50 PM
Just for panel

The enclosure around the panel will only be for the panel as it will look like an ordinary wall,36inch clearance around the panel is no problem.There is no other spot for the panel.

Old 03-31-09, 12:58 PM
How about outside. Where I live the panels are almost always on an outside wall. True there is rain and snow there only rain here. Or just hang a picture over the panel.

Old 03-31-09, 01:34 PM
I could

Yes i could just inset the panel and cover it with a picture or somthing,Thats really not my problem,Im more concerned if i can just run the wires ontop of the rafter beams instead of having to drill a milion holes

Old 03-31-09, 01:41 PM
Ray, I don't understand where you're coming from. I know of no code that would prohibit this. Most attics have cables running all over them. There are some rules about how you run and protect and secure the cables depending on exactly where they are, but you can pretty much run them anywhere in the attic.

Old 03-31-09, 02:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
I believe he is commenting on the fact the panel will be located in a closet. The code says not in clothes closets. If it just going to be for the panel I don't think it will be an issue.

As for running cables in the attic, John pretty much covered it. Its not an issue. Just stay 6' away from any access.

Old 03-31-09, 02:30 PM
John, in my first post I said I'd leave his main questions to those familiar with Canadian code. My only comment was I wasn't sure the inspector would accept the closet just as an electrical closet.

Old 03-31-09, 02:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by cutter4735 View Post
The runs that go to the far rooms are run together,I have not stapled them yet,The attic will not be used for anything so can i just staple them to the rafters?
You can staple them side by side, max of 2 wires per staple. You don't want to bundle them together tightly (as in zip ties), but just about anything else you'll be fine.
If the attic is "accessible" - as in you can more or less walk around in it, you'll need to use running boards. Usually a 2x4 nailed next to the wires to prevent someone from accidentally stepping on one of the wires. If it's in an area that's not really walkable, you'll likely be fine just stapling them to the rafters.

Also I ran my 14/2 wire through my walls to each receptical and drilled the holes for running the wire about 12 from the floor Is this ok?/I hope so because all the recepticals are installed!!!
you should be fine. I guess the horizontal runs are below the receptacles?

This advice is based on US codes... though my limited knowledge of Canadian codes make me think they should be applicable for both sides of the border.

Old 03-31-09, 02:32 PM
Thanks

It wont be a closet just an inclosure to hide it and so i can get at it when need be,I wont have anything else in there.
How about the issue that i only ran the wires through the studs 12inches off the floor,Will that be a problem?

Old 03-31-09, 02:49 PM
yes

Yes the wires are run through the walls below the recpticales and no you cannot stand up in the attic at all.

Old 03-31-09, 03:31 PM
As long as the closet has no rods nor shelves and meets all clearance requirements, it should be okay.

Of course, the disclaimer about the US/Canadian differences, already made several times, still applies. Most of us don't know that much about Canadian codes, although they are often similar to US codes (but not identical).

Old 03-31-09, 04:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by cutter4735 View Post
How about the issue that i only ran the wires through the studs 12inches off the floor,Will that be a problem?
That should not be a problem.