alternate ground

Old 04-01-09, 08:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
alternate ground

Hi,

I added some receptacles upstairs and want to ground them. Rather than running a ground wire all the way to the box, can I tap into a ground from another circuit?

There is a grounded circuit running nearby in the attic and it would save a lot of work if I could tap into the ground. There's enough extra cable in the grounded circuit so I can do the connecting in a box

thanks,

Mikeyg

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-09, 03:59 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I added some receptacles upstairs and want to ground them. Rather than running a ground wire all the way to the box, can I tap into a ground from another circuit?
If a circuit is not grounded you can not add receptacles to it. You need to run 12-2 or 14-2 NM-B all the way to the panel for the new receptacles. Safety wise your plan might be OK but code wise your best bet is a new circuit.

Old 04-02-09, 07:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have not researched the code to get the definitive answer to your question, but I would run the ground wire all the way back. Running the ground wire in the same cable (14-2 w/ Gnd or 12-2 w/ Gnd) will make the circuit impedance a lot less in the event of a ground fault and increase the chances that this fault will kick out the circuit breaker.