Need help wiring pool timer

Old 04-01-09, 09:45 AM
Need help wiring pool timer

I have a GE Time Switch that I want to install on my pool pump. The wiring instructions have me stumped, though. Can anyone walk me through this?

My existing setup is a 240v line with a switch box just before the pump. I'd like to wire the timer between the switch and the pump.

My confusion comes from the variety of options shown in the wiring diagrams. Here is a link to the diagrams:

and here are the instructions:

Which diagram do I follow? The first one? And remove jumpers 2 & 4?

All help most appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-09, 10:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Install jumpers 1 & 3; remove jumpers 2 & 4. This sets the timer circuit to run on 240V.

Both the timer and the load circuit are now 240V, so you can follow the wiring diagram in the top left or the one in the bottom right of the first page. I recommend the bottom right one, because it disconnects both legs of the 240V to the pump which is safer.

You may want to install the timer ahead of the manual switch. If the timer is after the switch, it will lose time whenever the switch is off. I can't quite tell from the picture, but if that neon lamp is also a toggle switch you can get rid of your existing switch and just use the one built in to the timer.

Old 04-01-09, 03:18 PM
Thanks!

Thanks for your reply. Yes the lamp is a toggle switch, so I'll remove the old switch box. Thanks for that tip.

Just for clarity's sake:

One wire from the pump goes to COM; the other to COM2.Then one line wire (L2) goes to NO2; L1 goes to NO.

Then the 2 ground wires are connected.

Am I missing something?

Old 04-01-09, 03:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The dots on L1 and L2 indicate a splice. Use a wirenut and two short pieces of wire on each one to "fork" the L1 and L2.

L1 connects to one of the timer terminals and NO.
L2 connects to the other timer terminal and NO2.

Old 04-01-09, 08:09 PM
Thanks so much.

I suspected that was the way (the splicing), Ben, but there was no way I was going to try it based on my guesswork.

Thanks for helping me out. Much appreciated.