getting frustrated with door chime

Old 04-01-09, 09:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
getting frustrated with door chime

I am replacing a door chime that hasn't worked in years. Bought a new one, thought the wiring should be simple. Here's the problem: There are 4 wires coming out of the wall, 2 white, 2 red. One set shows 10v on the multimeter, the other nothing. The transformer is good, 10v on multimeter. I tried, as far as I could tell, every combination I could think of but nothing worked. The only combo that got the button to light was reds together, whites together but when I attempted to connect to the chime, it would ding (not ding-dong). The second half of the chime would happen if I pushed the button.

It's a single chime, only one door.
Any advice is appreciated. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-09, 11:01 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Assuming either 10v between the two reds or two whites and continuity between the other pair when button is pressed: One red tied to one white. Other red and white to chime. If 10v between one red and white pair: Whites together reds to chime.

A 10v transformer is marginal for most chimes. You usually need about 17V. 10v is for bells and buzzer.

Old 04-02-09, 06:18 AM
I didn't think about, or check for, continuity. Thanks. Also, I'm replacing the transformer today. When I got the new chime I wasn't sure about the voltage of the trans. Chime=16v, trans,=10v.

One last thing. On the old chime, one of the coils appeared to burnt/melted. What could have caused this? Possibly a short in the wiring somewhere?

Thanks

Old 04-02-09, 07:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If you still have the old transformer in line, you will need to upgrade to a 17 volt transformer. Been there and done that. I fought with my SIL's new chime for 3 hours before my brain kicked in. Bought the new transformer and it worked great.

Old 04-02-09, 09:10 AM
It works

So, I bought a new transformer and was getting ready to install it. Figured I'd try connecting they way ray said and it works. THANK YOU. This thing hasn't worked for years and my girlfriend scoffed when I said I was going to fix it. She said that she's had "professionals" try to fix it but they couldn't. Professional what, I'm thinking now.

By not swapping the 10v transformer with a 16v, what problems lay ahead? It seems to work fine with the 10v so can I not just leave it the way it is?

Old 04-02-09, 09:27 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Like Ray said, the voltage is marginal. You should get a more solid ding - dong with the new transformer. If you are concerned about wiring it in, then leave the old one for the time being and return the new one. Otherwise, upgrade the transformer.

Old 04-02-09, 09:48 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Just to add to Goldstar's answer. I had a customer who thought she needed a new chime because the chime just wasn't loud enough. Checked and found the contractor had used a 10v transformer. Switched the transformer and the customer was happy with the loudness. You should check to see if you can hear the chime in the furtherest room from the chime with doors closed and maybe a TV on.

Old 04-02-09, 10:16 AM
Makes sense. I'll be swapping out the 10 for a 16 later today. Thank you all for your help.