115/230 motor - L1 L2 question

Old 04-01-09, 11:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
115/230 motor - L1 L2 question

I see L1 as 'line' and L2 as 'neutral'. Isn't that designation always the case and assuming so, wouldn't that make black always the correct wire for L1 (leaving the white or red for L2) for consistency's sake?

3 wire feed - black, red, green - in this case.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-09, 06:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 35 Posts
If your only wires are black, red and green, the black and red are L1 and L2. It appears that your motor was wired for 240 volts without a neutral that it did not need.

Old 04-02-09, 01:24 PM
Yes, that's correct - it's in a 230V application (pool pump motor) and was being replaced.

I understand that in this particular application the actual neutral aspect isn't used but on these types of switchable motors, wouldn't L2 always be considered or referenced as the neutral lug (if wired as 115V)?

And wouldn't that (L2=neutral) pretty much mean that black should be tied to L1 to maintain a proper color code? Shouldn't black always be assumed to be or used as 'Line'?

As far as operation, I realize that it doesn't matter being neutral isn't used in this case - it just seemed odd that the old motor had red on L1 which I always thought was designated as 'Line' which I always thought should be using 'black' for overall consistancy.

Is my thinking correct in that way of L2 is always the switchable one (line or neutral) and that L1 is always line (and should always use black)?

Old 04-02-09, 02:24 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
No. You could have two blacks or red and black and though not commonly found on 1 even orange and blue.

Old 04-02-09, 02:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Cienega32 View Post
And wouldn't that (L2=neutral) pretty much mean that black should be tied to L1 to maintain a proper color code? Shouldn't black always be assumed to be or used as 'Line'?
The code doesn't require it one way or the other, so any method you want to use is basically just installer's preference. It's one of those situations where there are multiple correct answers.

If you were dealing with a three-phase motor, the color order does matter, but a competent installer will always check with a phase meter before hooking it up anyway because there is no universal color code for hot wires.

Old 04-02-09, 09:17 PM
Thanks guys!

Like I said - it wasn't really an issue, there were no problems with it all. It was just a personal curiousity and "installer's preference" pretty much said it all.

Thanks again!