Sat. wiring project not going so well...help needed

Old 04-04-09, 06:48 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sat. wiring project not going so well...help needed

I'm trying to do what I thought was a simple wiring project, but its turning into a mess. I have a pair of kitchen lights that I want to operate together off a single switch. Here is the layout:
power comes into Light fixture A via a 2 wire. I have another 2 wire at fixture A going back to the switch. Then I have a 3 wire going from the Fixture A to Fixture B. The reason I was told to use a 3 wire is because Fixture B acts as a power supplier to a separate light further down the run, NOT to be controlled by the switch I am putting in.

Here is how I currently have it wired.

Black wire from power feed at Fixture A is pigtailed to the White wire going to the Switch. The black wire from the 3 way also ties into this, with the other end of the black at fixture B only going to the black wire on the 14/2 that goes direct to that other light fixture that simply needs power.

Back at light A, I have the red wire from the 3 way connected to the black wire going to the switch.

The whites from the power feed and 3 wire are tied together.

back at light B, the red wire connects to the black wire on the light fixture itself, with all whites connected together.

as far as the wires on the actual light at light A, I have the black wire together with the existing pigtail that connectes the white from the switch to the black from the incoming power feed, along with the black on the 3 wire.

when I turn on the circuit, I get light at fixture A. (fixture B I have not wired in the light yet, as I have not got that far). However, the switch does not work and my wire tester shows no power coming in on the black/white wires coming into the switch box.

where did I go wrong?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-09, 08:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Rather then try to follow your wiring here is how I would do it.

First Light:
White of switch #1 loop (remarked black), power in black and black of three wire cable tied together.

White of power in, white of light fixture , white of three wire cable tied together.

Black return from switch loop, red of three wire cable, black of light fixture tied together.

Second light:
All whites including light fixture and two wire cable to third light together.

Black of three wire cable and black of two wire cable to third fixture together.

Red to second light fixture;

Third light:
Switch loop to switch #2 white (remarked black) to incoming black.

Return black from switch loop to fixture black.

White incoming to fixture white.

Note: if you need help on configuring grounds post back. I didn't mention them to simplify instructions. If you need further explanation of a switch loop post back.

Old 04-04-09, 08:35 AM
Wiring Kitchen lights

I'm not an electrician but have done some updates. Your existing set up sounds odd to me. To help understand your situation, please describe the wiring set up you had before you started the change.

Suggest you wait till you get more advise before wiring the changes.

Edited subsequently:

Ray appears to be of the same opinion as me: The advise you were following isn't the right/best approach. My only suggestion in addition to Ray's detail is try to start from the wiring set up before you started making any changes.

Old 04-04-09, 08:52 AM
Wags, you're almost there. You did this 99% correctly. Your mistake was in the final step.

The black wire from light fixture A should connect to the black wire from the switch and the red wire from the 3-wire cable. The white wire from light fixture A (which you didn't mention) should connect to the white wire from the power supply and the white wire from the 3-wire cable.

This will fix you right up with one simple change. Just move where you connected the black wire from light fixture A. You need to connect it to the switched hot rather than the unswitched hot you have it connected to now.

Old 04-04-09, 01:39 PM
I'm confused. If I did everything right except for hooking the light fixture to the wrong wire, then why would that prevent power from at least making it to the switch? I put my tester on the wires coming into the switch and get nothing.

Old 04-04-09, 02:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by wags1970 View Post
I'm confused. If I did everything right except for hooking the light fixture to the wrong wire, then why would that prevent power from at least making it to the switch? I put my tester on the wires coming into the switch and get nothing.
It's a switch loop. You don't have "power" running to a switch loop, only one side of the line. The reading at the switch is meaningless.

Old 04-05-09, 08:43 AM
That did the trick. I had the black light from the fixture going to the wrong wires, just like you said. Project complete. Thanks very much!!