Circuit Breaker/Pull Chain Light

Old 04-04-09, 05:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Circuit Breaker/Pull Chain Light

Hi all,
Had a light fixture above my kitchen sink that is pull chain. Changed it out today with a regular wall/ceiling mount light and also a new pull chain. Circuit breaker was off, obviously, and when flipped back on, the light came on and all looked good. Pulled the chain to turn off so I could finish up but when I did, the breaker popped. If I have the light on and breaker flipped back to On the light is lit and all the other fixtures on the circuit work just fine so I don't believe it to be overloading. Only when I turn off the light will the breaker pop. All wiring looks good and everything, in my mind, points to having a short somewhere but I cannot see anything that would be causing it. Any help is greatly appreciated as I'm really out of ideas. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-09, 07:47 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Tell us all the wires in the box, all the wires from the light and how you wired it. My best guess is you wired the switch across the hot and neutral. When you pull the chain you are actually turning the switch on and causing the short. Remember a neutral wire is never hooked to a switch. A switch simply interrupts the hot wire.

Old 04-04-09, 08:05 PM
2 wires from breaker/ 1 white and 1 black. Off the fixture is 1 white and 1 black. Bought a new pull chain with 2 wires. Of course coordinated the colors from fixture and box but are you saying I should wrap one of the pull chain wires up?

Old 04-04-09, 08:48 PM
White wire power in goes to white wire wire of light.

Black wire of light goes to one switch wire.

Black wire power in goes to other switch wire.

Old 04-04-09, 09:31 PM
Both black from pull chain go to black on the fixture and breaker?

Old 04-04-09, 10:02 PM
Both black from pull chain go to black on the fixture and breaker?
No. One wire on the switch to black from breaker. The other switch wire to the light fixture black wire.

Switch in off position:
black-from-breaker____/ ____black-from-light

Switch in on position:
black-from-breaker_________blaclk-from-light

Notice the switch completes the circuit from breaker to light.

Old 04-05-09, 07:07 AM
The wiring looks to be correct from what you tell us, what kind of fixture and pull chain switch are you using? How many wires are on your switch? If you are using a switch from a muti-speed fan you may be using the wrong wires( putting the switch in low speed rather than turning it off ) This would cause a direct hot to neutral short and trip the breaker.

Old 04-05-09, 07:34 AM
It's an on/off single switch interrupter with 2 wires. Neither of them are labeled as being neutral or live so I believe they are ambiguous?

Old 04-05-09, 07:40 AM
OOOOOOKKK!!! Chalk this up to being a first time pull chain replacement. Thanks for helping me out gang, especially Ray. Just had to actually think about your last reply. Thanks again!

Old 04-05-09, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by ryanb View Post
It's an on/off single switch interrupter with 2 wires. Neither of them are labeled as being neutral or live so I believe they are ambiguous?
Of course neither is labeled neutral. There is NO neutral connection to a switch. Didn't you read my first post?