Connect battery operated chime with lighed Doorbell

Old 04-05-09, 07:02 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Connect battery operated chime with lighed Doorbell

Hello,

I've done some initial research on this and all of the stuff I've found shows some simple diagrams and tips on doorbell systems, but I still can't figure it out. Maybe someone here can help me out. What I have is a door bell switch with a light that is always on. it goes to a standard "ding-dong" chime. What I want is to replace it with a battery operated chime which has two wires sticking out of it. When I touch the two wires the chime starts singing continuously.

So what I see going from the doorbell switch is one pair of red/white wires and what I see feeding into the transformer is two pairs of red/white wires. Behind the transformer is the large black/white/bare wires which I'm assuming is the 120V wires. I tried connecting my battery door chime wires to all possible combinations of wires and as soon as I touch the wires, my chime starts singing. Can anyone explain to me how it's done or do you need more info?

Also, why is there two pairs of red/white wires when I see only one going from my door bell switch?

Thanks for your help.

Old 04-05-09, 07:42 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Can you tell us why you are doing this? Do you already have a chime that is not battery powered?

BTW, there is no 120 volts used in doorbell system. Most operate off 16 volts which is produced by a transformer. The transformer is typically mounted near or on your furnace or electrical panel.

Old 04-05-09, 09:16 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
A switch is used to turn on and off the power to a door bell. (chime) Suggest you do a bit of research on a single pole single throw switch so you understand better. One wire from the power source (transformer or battery) goes to the bell/chime. One wire from the transformer goes to the doorbell switch (button). a second wire goes from the doorbell switch to the chime.

Xormer-to-doorbell-switch___/ __switch-to-bell
Xformer-to-bell________________________bell

The light though will drain the battery and because of the impedance factor of an AC circuit as opposed to a DC circuit with an identical coil the voltage requirement will be different.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: