Grounding Bar Requirements for "Subpanel"

Old 04-07-09, 01:08 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Grounding Bar Requirements for "Subpanel"

I have been having a little discussion with my contractor and city inspector on how to properly ground my circuits on a "subpanel".

Here is the setup: I just replaced my service and upgraded my main panel to 200amp. I now have a service disconnect attached to meter outside of house and new wiring to my new panel (i guess it is called a subpanel) in my basement. The contractor put in a Square D panel and wired the neutrals to one side of the panel and grounds to the other side.

The city inspector then inspects and tells me that I need to isolate the grounds via an additional ground bar screwed to the back wall of the panel (and remove bonding screw).

The problem I am having is that my contractor keeps telling me this is not necessary and that he has done this before and passed inspection. Can anyone please clarify this for me (maybe even reference correct chapter of code)?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-09, 01:50 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
The grounds and the neutrals must be on isolated bars in a subpanel. That usually requires buying an add-on ground bar kit and removing the bonding screw. Some panels come pre-equipped with these options, some you need to convert in the field so I can't say exactly which you have without seeing it.

Old 04-07-09, 02:01 PM
Z
Thanks for the reply. If my panel was not considered a sub panel would I still need to isolate the grounds and nuetrals?

Old 04-07-09, 02:22 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ZekePDX View Post
Thanks for the reply. If my panel was not considered a sub panel would I still need to isolate the grounds and neutrals?
If the service disconnect contains either a breaker or fuse it is the first OCPD and the 200a panel is a sub. In a sub neutral is always isolated and ground is bonded.

This is really an easy choice. You have to follow the instructions of the inspector. The fact that the inspector is quoting the NEC correctly and the contractor isn't just makes the decision easier. If the contractor continues to balk at making the changes hire another electrician. (I'd bill the contractor for a second electrician if I had to hire one but that's just me.)

Old 04-07-09, 02:25 PM
Z
Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate the info.