Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

What scope of work req's updating to current stds (Ontario) ?

Old 04-07-09, 07:26 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post

I saw a mention of current code in Ontario for kitchen receptacles , that if they are within reach (?) of the sink then they must be gfi protected.
We have 3 15a duplex receptacles along the kitchen countertop (fed by 15a breakers with tiebars). Since they were kind of old and crusty (circa '77), I replaced them with new ('heavy duty'.. $3 -made in US instead of $0.99-China, go figure..) outlets.
Certainly you dont need an inspection etc for this kind of work, and I did 'improve' the errors from the past (only one of the 3 boxes were grounded, and it was receptacle first, then box )

Question is, with a slight 'improvement' like this (changing outlets), am I required to install the GFI outlets instead of regular ?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-09, 07:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveC72 View Post
Question is, with a slight 'improvement' like this (changing outlets), am I required to install the GFI outlets instead of regular ?
Yes. You should upgrade them to GFCI's. Given the fact that GFCI's have been required for over counter kitchen receptacles for many years and the cost would be very minor.

Old 04-07-09, 09:53 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
("hi" from just up N from ya Tolyn !)

I did a little google, found a reference for (ontario) code here..

(12) Receptacles located in kitchens and installed
within 1 m of a kitchen sink along the wall
behind counter work surfaces shall be protected
by a ground fault circuit interrupter of the Class
A type.
Appendix B note: Distance of 1 m is measured from
edge of kitchen sink

So, Im not sure if my 'work' actually requires me to come to code,, but at the least Im convinced enough to do the changes required (dont want my family to fry by my lazyness..)

Ok, so I do have one outlet qualifying. I made a mistake in my post calling them 'duplex'.. I meant 'split'. Doesnt look like they make split GFI outlets.. Ill have to ponder on giving up a circuit or spending on a split gfi breaker.

I dont really want to invest in the this FPE (Federal Pioneer.. or is it Fire Prone) subpanel in the old part of the house..

Thinking of which, im gonna post a seperate thread about the FPE panels..

Old 04-07-09, 11:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you are in Canada, FPE is fine. They were never deem a hazard in Canada, and are still being made and sold, and even installed new. If you want to change out that sub-panel or your main, you likely will have to bring a lot more to code.

You have the option of upgrading that receptcal to a 20A single pole circuit, using a 20A t-slot GFCI receptical.