broan/nutone model 744 vent+light wiring help

Old 04-07-09, 09:56 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
broan/nutone model 744 vent+light wiring help

When I first installed this unit, it worked fine. The vent and light are on 2 different switches.

Not long after I installed it, I discovered that the light no longer works. I've tried new bulbs, and a new light bulb housing (sent to me free from broan).

I also tried a different switch but the light will not work. The vent works fine, so I know there is power to the unit.

There are no other problems in the room. Everything works.

The wiring to the unit is simple - ground, white to white, red to red (supposed to be the light), and black to blue (vent).

I am going crazy over this.

Any ideas??

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-09, 04:43 AM
W
Only thing left is the switch, or a bad joint in one of your cables. Those multiple rocker switches sometimes do not last very long. What wattage light bulbs are you using? Bulbs with too high wattage rating could, should not, but could contribute to the early demise of a switch.

Old 04-08-09, 05:30 AM
C
how can I diagnose a bad joint in the cable? the house is only 6 yrs old.

I guess I'll try another switch. thanks for the input.

I don't recall what wattage I used, but I checked the orig package before buying the bulb so I think its ok

EDIT-
I just flip-flopped the fan switch (which I know is good) and the light switch. Still nothing. The fan still works and the light is dead.

Last edited by crosby87; 04-08-09 at 05:50 AM.
Old 04-08-09, 06:08 AM
R
Try re-connecting your wire again at your light. Sometime they may look like they are connected but they're not. Most of the time it's your neutrals ( White wires ). Another fast thing you can do is to switch your wire you have on your fan that works and put it on your light. If that doesn't work I bet you that it's the neutral for your light. Let us know.

Jim

Old 04-08-09, 07:19 AM
C
when the problem first started, I reconnected all of the wires using wire nuts.

last night, I put the new light bulb housing and reconnected everything again with wire nuts.

there is only 1 white for the unit. see: http://www.broan.com/ImageLibrary/br...s/99043318.pdf

scroll down to #7. you can scroll down to see the parts I replaced...#8-12 the lamp assembly.

Maybe I'll try the first wiring config they show with the unit only using 1 switch (blue and red to black) and see what happens.

the crazy thing is that it worked when I installed it. do wires in the wall just go bad??

Old 04-08-09, 08:09 AM
C
update-

just wired the blue+red to the black and when I turn it on both the light and fan turn on. the light is functional, and I know the unit has power, so the problem must be the wiring for the separate light switch.

how does that happen and how can I fix it?

thanks for the replies

Old 04-08-09, 08:25 AM
R
At your 2 switches how is power feed to them? Is there a main power wire ( Black ) coming in the box and 2 short wires tie to it with a wire nut? If so does each wire go to the switches? Or does the hot wire go to one switch and has a jumper to the second switch? I'm looking for a problem here. One thing you can do that's very fast is switch your black and red wires located on your switches. When doing this hook up your red wire in your fan light combo. As you wrote earlier you hooked up your black wire to both fan and light and they worked. What I'm trying to do is to see if your red wire going to your fan light combo isn't broken. I'll check with you soon. Make sure you shut off the power when doing all of this.

Jim

Old 04-08-09, 11:54 AM
C
my tile guy is in there now so I cant take a look at the moment.

When you say switch the blk/red on the switch do you mean jut flip-flop their position on the same switch? Or should I rewire the unit as it was (red/red, blk/blu) and put the red on the fan switch to see if the light turns on?
Thanks..I'll update as soon as I can get in there.

Old 04-08-09, 02:14 PM
R
Originally Posted by crosby87 View Post
my tile guy is in there now so I cant take a look at the moment.

When you say switch the blk/red on the switch do you mean jut flip-flop their position on the same switch? Or should I rewire the unit as it was (red/red, blk/blu) and put the red on the fan switch to see if the light turns on?
Thanks..I'll update as soon as I can get in there.
The way I understand is you have 2 switches on your wall. From those switches you should have a Black & Red wire going to your fan and light unit plus a White & Ground. Your black controls your fan & your red controls your light. Your fan switch works. So the red wire you have on your light switch take off, then take off your black wire on your fan switch and put on your red wire where the black wire was. Don't hook up your black wire you took off for now. What I am doing is trying to figure our if you have power to your light switch on the wall. Turn on your switch now and see if your light works or both if you have them all still wired together. Let me know if it works. I'll check back.
PS make sure you have the power off when making this change off wires.

Jim

Old 04-08-09, 06:10 PM
C
You're correct. The fan switch has 2 black wires+ ground (maybe they used blk color wire instead of white?). The light switch has a blk,red &ground.

Unfortunately I cant walk across the new tile floor (the switches are across the room) for 24hrs so I cant pull it apart now. I'll update you asap.

Thanks for the help

Old 04-08-09, 06:56 PM
R
You're correct. The fan switch has 2 black wires+ ground (maybe they used blk color wire instead of white?). The light switch has a blk,red &ground.

Unfortunately I cant walk across the new tile floor (the switches are across the room) for 24hrs so I cant pull it apart now. I'll update you asap.

Thanks for the help
I'll keep a eye open for you.

jim

Old 04-09-09, 08:34 AM
C
I didnt get time to re-wire yet but I did look at the wiring in the switch box.

there are white wires coming from the wall for each switch. they don't connect to anything. they are just all joined by wire nuts

the fan switch on the far left has a black wire that comes from the wall, and its other black wire feeds into a wire nut that accepts other black wires from the other switches. its almost like they are wired together somehow.

there were 4 switches to begin with. the original switch set up was from left to right: fan, fan light, a heat lamp (replaced by another light fixture), recessed light (removed the fixture all together). Everything worked fine. I took the recessed light and heat lamp out and added a light fixture so there is 1 extra switch that I'll just not use.

I think I may just need to rewire the switches and simplify them (using the white wires that are just bundled together?)

the crazy thing is that I didnt touch any of the switch wiring. would removing one of the fixtures throw off the sequence of the switch wiring, needing me to re-wire them?

Old 04-09-09, 09:27 AM
T
Turn off the circuit breaker feeding the fan/light. Disconnect the wires from the light switch. Wire nut the hot wire that feeds the light switch and the light's switched wire together. Turn on the circuit breaker and see if the light works. BE CAREFUL!!

Old 04-09-09, 08:36 PM
C
I switched the red & blk just like you said, rukkus.

The light did not work. I reconnected the black wire for the fan, and it does work.

the problem must be in the red wire. now what?

Old 04-09-09, 10:30 PM
C
Originally Posted by thinman View Post
Turn off the circuit breaker feeding the fan/light. Disconnect the wires from the light switch. Wire nut the hot wire that feeds the light switch and the light's switched wire together. Turn on the circuit breaker and see if the light works. BE CAREFUL!!
would this do the same thing as what I tried already? (see my last post)

Old 04-10-09, 09:22 AM
R
I switched the red & blk just like you said, rukkus.

The light did not work. I reconnected the black wire for the fan, and it does work.

the problem must be in the red wire. now what?
You said you switched the wires. So you put the red from the switch on the switch next to it that was for the fan( Black ) which was working and it didn't work? Now your saying that nothing works? Remember we should only be dealing with 2 switches on the wall. If what I have wrote Thinman wrote shut off the power and re-connect wire nuts in your switch box on the wall. I beleive myself and Thinman are thinking you may have a poor connection with your hot wires. Let us know.

Jim
Beer 4U2

Old 04-10-09, 11:37 AM
C
No I only switched the red first, per your suggestion (light still didnt work). The fan does still work

Old 04-11-09, 12:56 AM
F
Belive or not when you did remodel the bathroom there is a good chance that you allready nicked the cable that explain why you can not get power to the light on red wire at all.

I did see it more than I care to count especally if someone used super long drywall screws that useally take care of it even nails will do it.

Was the ceiling or wall was open and have to put in new drywall I know you have to cover up the recessed can holes however it possibtly that a drywall screw may got hit the conductors ?

The only way you can slove it by either replace the whole cable from the fan to switch box or get both fan and light running the sametime.

Merci,Marc

Old 04-11-09, 05:18 AM
C
We didnt have any drywall work done.

Old 04-12-09, 06:10 PM
C
update-

in the attic I ran the black from the unused fixture to the light (red). Then in the switch box, I capped off the red and ran the black for the unused switch to the light switch.

problem solved. the fan and light now work independently.

thanks for the replies