3-way Dimmer Switch

Old 04-08-09, 05:20 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
3-way Dimmer Switch

Hello, this is my first post and thought I'd give this a try. So, here's my question...

I want to add a dimmer to my ceiling fan that has 3 on/off switches on the wall to control the light. The existing on/off switch has three wires - 1 black, 1 red, and 1 white. I was told to buy a 3-way switch and I did.

Looking at this new 3-way dimmer switch I see a few differences. It has 4 wires instead of 3 - It has an extra red wire, 1 green wire that my existing setup doesn't have and no white wire when the old does.

I have no experience at this whatsover. All I need to understand is what wires to connect. Keep in mind, the number of wires are different and the colors don't match.

Thanks,
DonnieP

Old 04-08-09, 06:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

The green wire would be attached to the ground wires in the switch box.

If you look at the existing switch do you see a screw that is a different color? Normally this will be a dark screw. This is the COMMON and would be attached to whichever wire is the COMMON on the dimmer.

Old 04-08-09, 07:46 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The COMMON on the dimmer will be the wire that is a different color than the other two wires, ignoring the grounding wire.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: