Wiring for boilers with 4500W elements..

Old 04-08-09, 12:17 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring for boilers with 4500W elements..

Okay, don't get worried, I will not wire this stuff myself, but I am trying to rent a place to set this up, and want to understand the power needs before I commit to renting a space.

I have two boilers, each with two 4500W water heater elements for heating the ingredients. Can I get away with a 100 amp service, or do I absolutely require more?
What amp circuit is required for each heating element? I am presuming they will each take a separate circuit?
What is the simple way to calculate this?

Thanks for the input, forgive my ignorance!
LM

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-09, 05:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 169 Votes on 151 Posts
You question depends on many things. In order to determine if 100 amps is going to be sufficient you will need to take into account the entire load. Not just the boilers.

These boilers, are they a manufactured appliance or some home grown thing? At 240 volts each element will draw 18.75 amps (4500/240) So each boiler would be looking at a 50 amp circuit.

If the boilers is all that will be on the 100 amp service, you will be fine.

Old 04-09-09, 05:23 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks...

That does confirm my thoughts, thank you.

Because I have not yet confirmed a location, I have no idea what else will be on the load, but knowing I need 100 amps just for the boilers, I have a better idea of my limitations in selecting location.

These are, to answer your question, homegrown boilers, but they will be put together by qualified folks, but they may not be together before I must decide on the location, thus the query. And yes, you get two guesses on what I am building.

LM