Question about grounding.

Old 04-09-09, 10:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question about grounding.

A 15A two-wire circuit, a 20A two-wire circuit, and a 40A two-wire circuit is installed in a nonmetallic rigid conduit. How many equipment grounding conductors would be required? What size(s) would be required?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-09, 10:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 32 Posts
Regardless of the number or size of circuits in a given raceway (conduit), you only need one ground wire sized based on the largest circuit. In your case 40A.
If memory serves correctly, you'll need one 10ga wire for ground.

... realizing the time of year... Spa/hot tub/pool requirements vary and may have different grounding requirements. If this is for a pool, wait for someone else's answer. I'm pool/spa illiterate

Last edited by Zorfdt; 04-09-09 at 10:33 AM. Reason: added pool comment
Old 04-09-09, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by dennisc View Post
A 15A two-wire circuit, a 20A two-wire circuit, and a 40A two-wire circuit is installed in a nonmetallic rigid conduit. How many equipment grounding conductors would be required? What size(s) would be required?
What size is the rigid pvc conduit? Is the pvc conduit connected to the panel board where the above circuits originate?

Old 04-09-09, 11:23 AM
You will need 1 grounding wire and should be a #10. One other factor to this set up is it looks like you may have 4 or more carrying conductors ( Hot Wires ) and you should derate the wires you use to 80%. I would need to know what type of wire is being used. I don't what to confuse you on this.

Jim