115 Volt air conditioner hookup

Old 04-09-09, 05:18 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
115 Volt air conditioner hookup

I am looking at purchasing a 14,000 BTU, 115 Volt air conditioner. This seems like a lot of BTU's to for a standard 2 prong outlet. Is this safe to plug this in to an outlet, if there is only a few small things on that breaker?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-09, 05:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
What is the amperage rating of the ac? Determine the circuit you want it to be attached to and what size breaker protects it and what constant loads are on it. It is safe to plug it into a receptacle. Whether the circuit will handle the load you will find out by researching it or by a tripped breaker.

Old 04-09-09, 05:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 63 Posts
In addition there should be a nameplate on the unit that tell the electrical requirements. Look for how many amps the unit requires.

With the load on the circuit the lights will probably dim.

Old 04-09-09, 06:05 PM
D
It says 12 amps.

I know very little about amps, volts, etc. So do I need to check the number on that breaker, which will determine the max allowed for that breaker, then add up the items primarily on that circuit?

Is this correct?

Also, thanks for your help. I do not have a window in my living room capable of holding an air conditioner.

I have 3 options:
1) Use a portable, which I doubt would get the room as cool as I like it.
2) Cut a hole in the wall and put in this 14,000 BTU unit.
3) Cut a hole in the wall and get a really powerful unit and run a 220 or 230 line to that area. However, my fuse box is maxed out so I really do not want to add to electricity to it.

Old 04-09-09, 06:11 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Maxed out breaker is usually not a problem. However if you really have a fuse panel that could be a problem.

An option you didn't mention is a mini-split. It has the condenser out side connected to an evap and air handler in a small self contained unit that sets inside.

Old 04-09-09, 07:05 PM
D
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Maxed out breaker is usually not a problem. However if you really have a fuse panel that could be a problem.

An option you didn't mention is a mini-split. It has the condenser out side connected to an evap and air handler in a small self contained unit that sets inside.

I meant breaker panel, but I always call it a fuse box. It is a 100 amp service panel with no free breakers left. However, one of the breakers I can't figure out if it is connected to anything.

I did check into a mini-split, but the best estimate was $3,000. Since I am currently siding my house, that would have to wait until next summer. And I want to figure out if I am putting a unit in the wall before I begin siding at the end of the month.

Old 04-09-09, 07:30 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Give us the brand and model number of your panel and we can tell you if it will take tandems.

Old 04-10-09, 07:16 PM
D
My box is an Arrow Hart/ Murray 100 amp. Most of the regular breakers are 15 amps; however, there are three double pole breakers. One for the oven, one for the dryer, and I can't figure out what the last one works.

On the breaker that contains the outlet I was hoping to use for the air conditioner contains several things since it has outlets in two bedrooms and the living room.

It has two outlets (four individual sockets). Three which are never used and one containing a lamp. In the small room, it has a 21 inch TV and a lamp, which neither are ever on. And in the last bedroom, a 27 inch TV and a cable box.

In total, that breaker has a lamp that is usually on, and a 27 inch TV with cable box that are usually running.