GFCI questions

Old 04-09-09, 07:10 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GFCI questions

Hi all,
The way this house is wired currently (built 1957, two wire system) i understand that to add gfci outlets they will be needed throughout rather than one at the head of a given circuit to protect all other outlets downstream on that circuit.All outlets have 12AWG,and most of the circuits are controlled via a 20amp breaker a few others have a 15amp breaker that control them. Should all outlets get a 20amp gfci,
or the circuits that have a 15amp breaker get a 15amp gfci ,and 20amp breaker get 20amp gfci's?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-09, 07:27 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
you can use one GFCI to protect whatever the device you use is designed to protect. I believe most will protect up to 5 additional receptacles.

you can also use a GFCI breaker, if one is available for your panel.

You do need to apply stickers to the recep covers with:

"GFCI protected" and " no equipment ground" on them.

15 or 20 amp?

you can put 15 amp receps on a 15 amp breaker

you can use 15 amp receps on a 20 amp breaker if there is more than one recep on that circuit.

of course you can use 20 amp receps on a 20 amp breaker

and, just in case you are proposing what it might sound like you are:

you cannot extend a branch circuit that does not have an EGC (equipment ground)

Old 04-09-09, 09:03 PM
J
Rules depend on location. For best advice, please fill in the "location" field of your profile.

Old 04-09-09, 09:09 PM
R
gfci

Thanks for the input nap. I am familiar with the stickers. Actually my other thought was to re wire to achieve an equipment ground,not extending the circuit as you assumed. Why do other receptacles on a 20amp circuit make it possible to use a 15amp gfci outlet as you mentioned? Can a 15 amp gfci outlet be used on a 20amp breaker circuit if the 15 amp gfci has a 20amp feed through?

Old 04-09-09, 09:13 PM
J
Rules depend on location.

Old 04-09-09, 09:14 PM
R
gfci

[QUOTE=John Nelson;1551411]Rules depend on location. For best advice, please fill in the "location" field of your profile.[/QUOTE The location would be Florida

Old 04-09-09, 09:24 PM
J
In Florida, there's no reason why you would ever need to spend the extra money on a 20-amp GFCI. Just buy the 15-amp devices and you'll be fine.

Adding or rewiring a circuit or two with a real ground is a good idea. Put priority on the circuit serving your expensive electronics. No need to do all your circuits and it would probably be cost prohibitive to do so anyway.

Old 04-10-09, 07:14 AM
R
gfci outlets

Thank you John nelson for your reply and looking into what the code says about this in Florida. With all outlets now having 12AWG i thought they would get 20amp gfci outlets. I am glad to find out otherwise. Well now gfci'ing all outlets in living room,bedrooms and kitchen will be a bit more inexpensive with 15amp outlets it's doable. Good thing they sell them in packages of 10. Of course the bathroom will have to be on a 20amper on it's own dedicated circuit.

Old 04-10-09, 08:08 AM
J
Compare the total cost of all the GFCI receptacles with the cost to get the equivalent protection with a GFCi breaker. Depending on brands and number of outlets, one or the other may be cheaper and/or less work.

Old 04-10-09, 09:58 AM
R
gfci

I did consider the gfci breaker route as well. The rooms i would need the gfci breaker for if tripped would shut off all outlets and lights that are in different rooms. I could see it creating a problem..( i.e. if someone else is using a light or on a computer etc. in other room or even if It was a case of someone in the bathroom and that particular circuit tripped)
Since the way things are wired now is kinda fortunate in that each outlet gets a gfci,so only that outlet is effected if trippped. Thanks again