basement bathroom wiring plan

Old 04-10-09, 06:38 PM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
basement bathroom wiring plan

I would like some advice with how I should wire my new basement bathroom (ie. in what order, connections, etc.). Wanted to attach a small jpg to show layout but the posting rules below say I can't.

- I'm using a dedicated 20A circuit that will never leave the bathroom.
- one fan, one vanity light, one GFCI and one light switch (can use two switches to control light and fan separately if that makes more sense).
- using 12/2 romex.
- would like to run power to the light and fan before the GFCI so if it's tripped the light still works.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-09, 07:18 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It's simple. Run the cable first to the GFCI receptacle box. Connect input and output wires both to the LINE side of the GFCI. Do not use the LOAD side of the GFCI and nothing else will go dark if the GFCI trips. Then run power to the switch box, probably a double-gang switch box with two switches. Then run separate cables from the switch box to the fan and to the light.

Old 04-10-09, 07:23 PM
R
Sounds like a plan (and a simple one which I like!). Thanks John.

Old 04-11-09, 08:31 PM
R
wiring plan - GFCI issue

Okay, maybe not so simple...what are the chances that the 20A GFCI I bought recently is defective???

I wired everything up today and when I switched on the power I noticed that the indicator light on the GFCI receptacle was dark. The light and fan work fine from the switch (these devices are fed from a separate wire than the receptacle).

Here's what I've done so far to troubleshoot and has led me to question the receptacle:

- tested the GFCI receptacle with a plug-in style tester and got no lights.
- removed the receptacle and tested the wires with a multi-meter and got 120 V.
- removed the light and wired the receptacle to the line feeding the light and fan, but still got no lights with the receptacle tester, and the indicator light remained dark on the GFCI receptacle.

Is there anything else that I should test, or just replace the receptacle and see if that solves the issue??

Old 04-11-09, 09:41 PM
D
A new GFCI receptacle comes out of the box needing to be reset when powered up.

Old 04-11-09, 09:50 PM
F
Some case it can be bad and get new one but if you buy it from big box store make sure you double check the package to make sure it is not open before { some case someone will put the bad one back in the box and not marked saying a bad one and someone at the bigbox store will put it back on shelf unforetally I did see it more than once }

What brand name that GFCI device you have there ?

Some do have to push in the test button pretty firm to click on if fail to click on make sure you have correct pair of conductors that is from line side and termated to the line side of GFCI and when you get done with backwiring { not the same as back stabbing type is } and wiggle a little to make sure it stay in firm otherwise it may slipped out and not have a connection.

Merci,Marc

Old 04-12-09, 05:58 AM
R
I forgot to mention that I had tried pushing the reset button several times (I learned the hard way a while back that they come shipped in a tripped state!)

Marc, that's funny you said that (the brand name is Leviton from the big orange store), because I remember thinking that the package looked like it had been opened half way down already but assumed that I had done it as I purchased the item a few weeks back and figured I had just taken it out to look at it back then.

The wiring looks good and the device was backwired to the line side (load side is taped off). Maybe I'll just return it and give that a try...not sure what else to do at this point.

Thanks for the help!

Old 04-12-09, 12:32 PM
F
For about 10 you can get new GFCI or exchange it if you still have the recepit from that big box store you brought it and just make sure the package is not open sometime ya can get bad batch from factory.

It do happend from time to time but not too often.

Just try change it and see if that clear up the issue there and just remember most GFCI's I useally get they are useally in tripped state from factory so first time you turn on the power you have to push in the reset button I know Leviton useally have red button for test and black is for reset however some Levetion do have matched colour so get little harder to spot it but useally marked " test " and " reset"

Merci,Marc