What type of connector is this?

Old 04-10-09, 10:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What type of connector is this?

I was hoping someone here could help me identify some mystery wall jacks I have in my house:

http:// i40.tinypic. com/8ytg1c.jpg

(I couldn't get the link to work, so you will have to copy/paste the above address and remove the spaces.)

I have one of these jacks next to every electrical outlet in my living room, as well as a couple in the kitchen. Does anybody know what the name of this connector is? (For example, I know cable TV connectors are usually Type-F coax, and telephone landlines are RJ11.) I have a few ideas what it might be for, but I need to know what the connector is called so I can make an adapter and use it.

I'll appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks,
Rob

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-09, 12:41 AM
Rob I did have to change the format a little however the program in this form do not take the tiny Url link at all { we (the moderators and forum owner ) have issue with that before and for safety reason it is allready blocked out }

That photo I am pretty sure that is a tv anneta jack not confirmed with that set up other wise what you can do is unscrew the cover and see what the conductors { wires } look like if flat twinner that useally a old style tv annetna connection.

If you have time just go to photobucket dot com and upload a new photo then it will be attached nice here.

Merci,Marc

Old 04-11-09, 01:11 PM
I wouldn't be too quick to say it is antenna. An antenna jack would be only one or two places, and likely by a two pin female on the plate, if not coax. That looks to be a power inlet for something, on a Dsepard mount, if that matters. Even though it is male, I'd tend to believe it might be a low voltage power "outlet", which is powered by batteries elsewhere in the house.

I'd pull it off to see what sort of wire connects to it, and where it runs to.

Old 04-11-09, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Possibly some sort of old whole house entertainment system..for mono speakers?

That might help...how old is the house?

Old 04-11-09, 02:23 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
It sure looks like a low voltage not 300 ohm flat lead. You can see a prong in the center.

Old 04-11-09, 04:12 PM
what is feeding it ?......................

Old 04-11-09, 05:51 PM
And after another look I'd say polarized because of the nib in the middle. Almost bet a a female plug with a groove on one side goes in there.

Old 04-12-09, 12:49 AM
Hey guys, thanks for the help so far!

I'll be sure to use photobucket if I need to post any more pics.

The house was built in 1972. My first guesses were antenna or speaker hookups, but I hadn't thought of it being a low-voltage power source.

I took the faceplate off and pulled the jack away from the wall, and the wire is a flat twin lead.

Also, I had forgotten, but I do have one of the old, standard 3-prong antenna jacks instead of a 2-prong mystery jack next to one power outlet in my living room. I'm not sure if that is of any significance.

Old 04-12-09, 09:34 AM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
Could it be a central vacuum?

Old 04-12-09, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Central vacs...at least all I've ever seen, have the connector right where the hose plugs into the suction port. And they mostly use low voltage wire, not flat twin lead.

Has to be someone doing overkill on an antenna system.

Old 04-12-09, 01:11 PM
Well, I went up in the crawlspace above the ceiling and found a bunch of flat twin wires all running to the same place, but they weren't attached to anything. I guess whatever they did go to was removed, because they all had bare ends and were just tied around a 2x4.

The antenna is only about 10 feet away from where the mystery wires are tied off, so maybe at some point they did go to the antenna...I guess I have no way to know for sure.

At the very least, I suppose I could always use these wires as is for home theater hookups, or at worst I can use them to pull new cabling and replace the jacks with something more modern.

In any case, I'm still curious what type of connector that is, so if anyone figures it out, please let me know.

Old 04-13-09, 12:37 PM
We had an outlet like this in the house I grew up in (built around 1970). 99% sure it's antenna related. The only other thing I can think of is that it could be the connector for an antenna motor. Our house had (and still has) a large roof antenna with a motor on it so it can be rotated remotely. It could be for that.

Old 04-13-09, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by paulwitt View Post
We had an outlet like this in the house I grew up in (built around 1970). 99% sure it's antenna related. The only other thing I can think of is that it could be the connector for an antenna motor. Our house had (and still has) a large roof antenna with a motor on it so it can be rotated remotely. It could be for that.
Briefly considered that when trying to guess but my rotor plug has three prongs and the face plate 5 holes.

Old 04-13-09, 06:17 PM
TV antenna rotors can have 3, 4, or 5 wires.

You likely can use the wires to pull new HT or networking wires, using modern plates.

Old 05-13-09, 10:04 AM
I don't know much about this stuff, but found this site because I was trying to connect a DTV converter box to a roof antenna. It looks really similar. It sounds like it did connect to the antenna at one point. Maybe the previous owners wanted to minimize possible lightning strikes ruining electrical equipment when they opted for cable or sattelite TV?