Replacing bathroom vent/fan combo in old house

Old 04-12-09, 08:48 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing bathroom vent/fan combo in old house

Hoping someone can help me not burn out my new bathroom vent/fan unit! I removed the existing unit and it has two internal receptacles one for the fan and one for the light. Each recepticle has a black and white wire.

The wiring coming out of the switch box is one black and one white only. The existing unit has the white wire from the switch box connected to each white wire from each receptable. The same configuration for the black wire.

New unit has:
One receptable: black/white wire
Second receptable: blue/white wire

All 3 white wires (switch box, both receptables) are connected just like old unit however the other wiring calls for black wire from switch box to connect to black wire from one receptable and blue wire from second receptacle to red wire from switch box. I don't have a red wire from switch box.

Can someone tell me what the right wiring configuration is? Do I just treat the blue wire as a black wire and connect all 3 black wires togethe similarly to the white? Thanks for any help I don't like messing with electrical wiring unless I'm sure what I'm doing. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-09, 09:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 169 Votes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by Rikky View Post
Do I just treat the blue wire as a black wire and connect all 3 black wires togethe similarly to the white? Thanks for any help I don't like messing with electrical wiring unless I'm sure what I'm doing. Thanks!
You are correct! Since you don't have two switches to run the fan and light separately, the fan and light will just run at the same time.