weather resistant receptacles-where required?

Old 04-13-09, 12:02 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
weather resistant receptacles-where required?

Am buying receptacles for addition. I have large covered porch that is going to get about 6 receptacles. Do they have to be weather resistant? I thought they didn't since the porch is covered. I know that any that will not be covered have to be WR, but assumed garage and covered porch would just get Tamper Resistant. I will put all these outdoor receptacles on GFCI breakers.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-09, 10:48 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ok here's what the code says.

100.I Location, Damp: Locations protected from weather and not subject to saturation with water or other liquids but subject to moderate degrees of moisture. Examples of such locations include partially protected locations under canopies, marquees, roofed open porches, and like locations, and interior locations subject to moderate degrees of moisture, such as some basements, some barns, and some cold-storage warehouses.

100.I Location, Wet: Installations under ground or in concrete slabs or masonry in direct contact with the earth; in locations subject to saturation with water or other liquids, such as vehicle washing areas; and in unprotected locations exposed to weather.

314.15 (A) Damp or Wet Locations...boxes, conduit bodies, and fittings shall be placed or equipped so as to prevent moisture from entering or accumulating within the box, conduit body, or fitting. Boxes, conduit bodies, and fittings installed in wet locations shall be listed for use in wet locations.

What's all this mean? You know what your project will look like. Given the definition of damp and wet locations, choose which your installation will be. The code says that equipment installed in wet locations shall be listed for use in wet locations. Otherwise, just make sure the installation will prevent moisture from entering the equipment, i.e. caulk, silicone, etc.

On the other hand, you can't go wrong by being over cautious.