Newbie Wiring help needed

Old 04-13-09, 12:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Newbie Wiring help needed

Hi,

I am in the process of re-doing my attic loft. The owner before me ran two separate lines from the basement panel, one two-wire red and one two-wire white. From the look of the panel, they go into the same breaker.

How do I know how much these can handle. I want to install make the room a TV loft with bathroom. Before I put the floor down, I have access to run more wires to the basement easily.

I want to run 8-10 pot lights, and probably 8-12 plugs and maybe a jet tub.

If I was to run a spare wire for future what would I run and how many?

Thanks for the input. I plan to do as much as I can and then have it connected by an electrician to be safe.

Booster

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-09, 01:16 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I am in the process of re-doing my attic loft. The owner before me ran two separate lines from the basement panel, one two-wire red and one two-wire white. From the look of the panel, they go into the same breaker.
This doesn't make sense, please try again. Is this conduit or cable? If cable you should have have a black and white wire and bare inside a plastic or cloth jacket. The cable jacket would be most likely white or yellow but orange is also a possibility.

Old 04-13-09, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
This doesn't make sense, please try again. Is this conduit or cable? If cable you should have have a black and white wire and bare inside a plastic or cloth jacket. The cable jacket would be most likely white or yellow but orange is also a possibility.
Sorry, I worded that badly, after I read it again. You are correct, there is a black, white and ground enclosed in a white plastic. Also the same enclosed in a red plastic.

Both seem to go into the panel beside each other to one breaker.

Thanks

booster

Old 04-13-09, 04:57 PM
W
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts
Wire

"How do I know how much these can handle."

What size wire? (Gauge)

Old 04-13-09, 05:12 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
What you are calling red may be orange #10 cable but you needed to check. The white may be #14 or older #12. Jacket colors are unofficial though and could vary. You need to look at the size printed on the jacket. You also need to look at the amps embossed on the breaker handle.

Old 04-13-09, 07:05 PM
okay, i will check in the am on gauge and the breaker and post it

(it is red lol i did look twice and asked my wife what colour she saw)

Old 04-13-09, 07:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 71 Votes on 61 Posts
Your jetted tub will require at least one dedicated circuit, two if it has heat. The ampacity will be 15 amps or greater.

Old 04-13-09, 07:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 169 Votes on 151 Posts
The tub will also need a #8 ground wire pulled to the panel and attached to the lug on the motor.

Old 04-13-09, 07:52 PM
F
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Hi,

two separate lines from the basement panel, one two-wire red and one two-wire white. From the look of the panel, they go into the same breaker.
Due this OP is From Cananda the red cable typically are marked for 240 volts useage { seems #12-2WG is most common size IIRC but check the marking on the coating of the cable to verify the size}

I want to run 8-10 pot lights, and probably 8-12 plugs and maybe a jet tub.
If you going to run this in the bathroom you really need to check the CEC { Cananda Electrical Code } very carefully most case IIRC they will need seperated circuit for the bathroom receptale however with the luminaires you can have this on the this circuit BUT it can not go to other bathrooms if you want to add down the road.

If I was to run a spare wire for future what would I run and how many?

Thanks for the input. I plan to do as much as I can and then have it connected by an electrician to be safe.

Booster

You may want to check with the electrician before you start pull any conductor or cables some of the electricans may frown on that so ask them ahead of the time to see what they will allowed and what not.

I will just leave a extra spare circuit in case you want to add a wall mounted heater { most case 12-2W/G useally be more than enough for common size wall mounted heater up to 1800W { 120 v } or 3600W { 240 V }

Merci,Marc

Old 04-14-09, 01:33 PM
Great thanks for the info.

The wires are 14/3 (white plastic one) and 12/2 300V (red plastic one)

I think I will get someone in to confirm the codes etc before I pull any wire, that sound like the safest and best way.

Thanks for the reply's.

Booster