Two Horsepower Motor Wiring

Old 04-14-09, 05:28 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Two Horsepower Motor Wiring

I recently bought a woodworking machine with a 2 Horse motor, wired for 240. My electrician installed a 30 amp receptacle and I'm trying to install a magnetic switch assembly to convert the motor to 120. The machine has a panel with three assemblies, an off switch, spring loaded, a power light, and a momentary on switch (push to start). I cannot get the motor to turn over at all. Ther is power from the receptacle to the off switch side because the power light comes on when I plug in the machine and it goes off when I hit the off switch. I bypassed the mag switch entirely and the motor runs just fine. I have continuity everywhere except I do not have any indication of flow across the on switch from black to white. Ii the on switch bad or is there another possible open flow issue?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-09, 05:36 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I'm not sure if you said that you replaced an existing starter or you added one. Is it possible that the coil voltage is 240 volts and you have only 120 going to it? The start switch is normally open and should only have power across once it's depressed.

Here's a diagram of a typical start/stop circuit.
http://literature.rockwellautomation...d001_-en-p.pdf

Old 04-14-09, 08:54 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Two Horsepower Motor

Wirenut,

Thanks for your help and the diagram. I meant to say that I was replacing the 220 mag switch with a 110 volt switch. I'm zeroing in on the power on switch because there's no indication of current flow across the switch even with the button depressed and held down. Every thing else is OK, continuity and voltage wise.