kids' school project

Old 04-14-09, 05:53 AM
M
mik
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
kids' school project

for school project, the kids are trying to thread a looped copper wire through another copper wire connected at both ends to a board without touching that 2nd wire or it sounds a buzzer when the contact is made. I don't know if I have the wrong gauge wire or incorrect battery size or what but I can't get this simple thing it to work. Here's the layout: one wire goes from a terminal on 9v battery to the wire on the board; other battery terminal is connected to the buzzer. The buzzer has a wire connected to the looped copper wire trying not to touch the copper connected to the board. Don't know if I explained it well enough or not, but any suggestions or website referrals?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-09, 06:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 169 Votes on 151 Posts
You wouldn't happen to have an electrical meter would you?

My initial thoughts are the buzzer is not 9v or is dead.

Old 04-14-09, 06:47 AM
B
Received 35 Votes on 32 Posts
Would the buzzer possibly be polarity sensitive, meaning reverse the plus and minus??? Is the wire possible coated? A varnish type layer that insulates it.

I'm not sure
Bud

Old 04-14-09, 07:00 AM
J
Connect the battery directly to the buzzer and see if it sounds.

Old 04-14-09, 07:26 AM
M
mik
thanks for the replies. I think the buzzer may be burned out; after reading your replies I connected the 9v battery directly to the buzzer, which worked to activate it last week. Now it just clicks. label on the buzzer says 9volt so I don't think I fried it, maybe it just finally gave out from age/loose wires. I have a small 'science project' lamp socket & bulb I could swap out for the buzzer, but it says it works on 2.8v using 2 D-cell batteries. How do I connect 2 D-cells together? run wires from terminals & tape (electrical) them on?

Old 04-14-09, 08:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 169 Votes on 151 Posts
To get the volts you want out of the D batteries you connect the + of one battery to the - of the other battery. Then have one wire come off the unused + and another wire off the unused - on the batteries. Looking at a battery I see they are 1.5v each (3v total). I wouldn't think that would be a problem but I just thought I'd mention it.

Old 04-14-09, 08:25 AM
B
Received 35 Votes on 32 Posts
A radio shack type store would have a battery holder with leads or terminals to connect as needed. However they would also have a new buzzer. Is the current problem just a dead battery instead of a dead buzzer?

Bud

Old 04-14-09, 09:27 AM
M
mik
don't know for sure if it's the buzzer or not so I think I'll hit the local Radio Shack with the battery + buzzer & I'm sure they'll get me squared away.
Thanks everyone!